Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - centerboard line & mast removal

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Apr 2024 05:39

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: centerboard line & mast removal
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2011 17:22 
Rail Meat

We 're having the mast removed for inspection, painting, radar install, etc and are wondering how best to handle the centerboard line & the tubing that contains it up through the lower part of the mast. Is the tubing "free floating" in the mast so it will fall out when the mast is raised up through the deck?? We plan to detach it from the thru hull connection in the bulge but beyond that, not sure.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts, experiences with this.

S&J, Night Music (#157)

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: centerboard line & mast removal
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2011 09:42 
Skipper

The center board pendant enters the boat through a through hull in the bilge. The through hull is attached to an "L" shaped stainless tube via a rubber hose. The stainless tube turns 90* and passes through the mast step where it is attached to the center of the step by a flange. A PVC pipe is attached to the top of the stainless tube with tape. This loose connections allows the PVC pipe to self align with the pendant exit box in the mast. When pulling the mast let the pendant slip through the exit box. The PVC pipe may just flop over once the mast is removed. This is the time to replace the rubber hose at the through hull and remove the through hull for inspection. Be sure and use a hose suitable for use below the water line. The PVC pipe must be guided into the mast when the mast is stepped.It all becomes very clear once the mast is out of the boat. Hope this helps.

Jim

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2011 07:44 
Rail Meat

Jim...... Thanks for explanation. We pulled the mast yesterday and you're correct; it became very clear as the mast went up. We ran a tagline through the pendant box to make it easier when the mast is stepped. The PVC pipe is attached to the SS with a thread by slip PVC coupling; no flexibility like you mentioned.

Steve

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2011 14:34 
Skipper

Glad everything is coming together (or apart as the case may be). Mine has the thread x slip fitting also but it was wasn't holding anything together so I would guess someone in a yard put the tape when stepping the mast in the spring one year. I haven't changed it as all the pipe does is direct the pendant to the exit box. It's a simple c/b system. You'll probably be changing the pendant unless it's fairly new. I checked my new one at 6 years old and it looked like it was new (Sta Set). Good luck with your projects.

Jim

Profile Email