Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Interior stain

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Apr 2024 08:05

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Interior stain
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2011 14:19 
Midshipman

I read somewhere on this board the interior stain that matches the T37-2 but darned if I can find it again. Does anyone know the best match?

Thanks,
Tom Currier
s/v Dulcinea
1983 T37-2 k/cb

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Interior stain
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2011 06:08 
Skipper

Tom,
I believe the interior finish was Watco Danish oil, or similar and I would guess that they used the neutral color. I know that Tartan did not stain the teak.....when I sanded all of my interior down, there was no indication of any stain. I finished off my interior with a clear, gloss varnish that really brightened the interior and made the whole boat look like a brand-new boat! The effect was nothing short of amazing....makes for a nice winter project!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2011 12:00 
Skipper

I've found on my T-37 and T-30 that the interior wood appears to be stained a reddish hue. I don't know if this is actually stain or a combination of Watco Teak Finish and exposure to sunlight but it is quite uniform throughout my boat. I recently added some cabinetry to my boat and had a difficult time matching the wood color. I used a combination of Minwax stains (Ipswitch pine and very red stain I don't remember color of). If you just want to keep up the finish of the wood then Watco Teak Finish is what you want. If you are trying to color match then you're going to have to mix and match to find a suitable stain. Here is a picture during my last project and you can see the difference in the wood color below the shelf where the fiddle was removed.

Attachments:
teak color change.JPG
teak color change.JPG [ 114.85 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

Post subject: A suprising find!!!
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2011 20:12 
Midshipman

Howard Restor-A-Finish Mahogany is a damn close match. I'm waiting for it to dry out but so far, it looks pretty much like an exact match to the current finish.

http://www.howardproducts.com/restora.htm

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2011 12:01 
Skipper

So are you applying the Howard's on bare wood or restoring the finish of the pre-oiled teak? I used this product on some wood at home with good results but the left over is the wrong color for the teak on the boat.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2011 12:59 
Midshipman

I've tried it on both. I stripped down the companionway stairs (not the side rails) and stained them and it matched the rails close enough so you can't really see any difference. I lightly scuffed/sanded the the engine cover behind the stairs and used Howards and that came out very well too.

I won't be able to tell for sure until I bring those pieces back to the boat but in my garage, it looks nearly perfect to me.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2011 15:05 
Skipper

Well that would sure be easier than mixing stains and trying to get a match. Thanks for doing the "research".

Profile Email