Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - going aloft - what's your rig?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Apr 2024 10:14

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: going aloft - what's your rig?
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2011 08:13 
Midshipman

I was preparing Kiwi for Hurricane Irene late at night, and made the rookie mistake of hoisting the furling swivel all the way to the top of the mast after I removed the jib. I didn't realize what I had done until I heard the "Klink!" when it got to the top. It had been a long day...it was approaching midnight...go easy on me. I had to borrow the dockmaster's ATN Mast Climber. It was great. I still have a few small jobs part or all the way up the mast, so I know I will need one of my own. Plus, I do most of the maintenance on my own, so I will need to be able to go up (and down) on my own. I don't feel like dropping $350-$450 for an ATN. Has anyone had any success using a regular climber's harness and ascenders? If so, what brands and set ups worked best for you? Am I going to to go broke trying to save money? Thanks in advance.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: going aloft - what's your rig?
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2011 08:52 
Skipper

I've never used a climbing rig, Scott. I (talking out my ass) thought you'd be a lot worse off climbing that way. Get where you're going and spend time just recovering your strength for the job. And it takes me a while to recover. Getting old aint for sissies.

But I have borrowed my slip mate's ATN. He has the 40? footer which makes climbing to the top a two person job. I have to stop at the spreaders to let the first mate hoist to the top or drop it down so I can get all the way either direction. So the 50 footer is on our list of things to buy.

Now I think I'll start a flame war. LOL I tried several bosun's chairs while climbing the mast and what I like best is a rock climbers harness from REI. Better mobility and better support. I thought I was on the innovative side of this until the riggers showed up to replace my port stay. His rig was the same but had several modifications to the gear loops to better hold his tools. I'm in the process of duplicating that. This is what mine looks like: http://www.rei.com/product/765510/black ... ng-harness

Not endorsing REI, just that's where I can get stuff like that around the coastal plains of Texas. LOL

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2011 19:20 
Midshipman

Funny you should mention REI...and that rig in particular. It is exactly what I was looking at right before I wrote my post this morning. However, the harness without the ascenders only gets me so far. Any climbers out there who have some advice?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2011 13:25 
Grinder

Do look at the post in this forum entitled "Mast Climbing by Yourself - How I did it." It describes the construction of a climbing rig using ascenders, a bosuns chair and web foot loops ala ATN. I followed the steps outlined and made one for myself. Bought a pair of ascenders from ebay for $75, made the web loops on the admirals sewing and used my bosum seat as suggested in the description. Bought 60 feet of low stretch line and a couple of quick links. I find it surprisingly easy to get to the top of the mast and still have the energy to work. I recommend trying it not as ATN recommends (that is tying the bottom end of the climbing line to the rail) but tie it to the bottom of the mast. When it is tied to the rail you have a tendency to swing about a bit when you get part way up. In addition you are hanging under the line with your back to the mast and when you get nearer to the top the mast interferes with your climbing. When the climbing line is tied to the mast bottom you can use your feet on either side of the mast to help stabilize yourself keeping you facing the mast and if a passing wake comes along you can easily reach out with your hands to further stabilize your self.
All in all I have invested in my rig less than $150.

I wouldn't leave home without it.

Vital statistics: 6 ft tall-190 lb over 65

T37 #31
Abraxas

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2011 17:47 
Skipper

I authored the 'Mast Climbing by Yourself - How I did it' and this year I went up and down about 6 times in one day. It certainly has made a once very difficult task very easy and I no longer dread climbing the mast. Very Happy Very Happy

The one change I made to the climber was I shortened the webbing to the ascenders as for my height (6feet) I found working on the very top of the mast just about 6 inches too short. I would suggest that if going to the top a second safety line attached to a safety harness. My wife or a crew member takies up any slack (just the slack) on a winch as the halyard you are climbing could break.

If you search 'climber' within this site you should find the document I made with all the instructions you need. Email me directly if you have questions ( sord@rogers.com )

Profile Email