Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Backing problem

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Apr 2024 07:55

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Backing problem
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011 10:14 
Rail Meat

I own a T37 Hull #478 and have difficulty backing in a straight line. It always backs to Port. Is this normal for this model? I have found that giving it more power aggravates the problem. And I have almost zero helm. Any comments or ideas would be welcome. I have a GORI folding prop thanks. PMG

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Backing problem
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011 19:48 
Midshipman

I think we all have that problem on the T37, at least the CB version. My last boat, an Islander 28 with fin keel and spade rudder was so nimble in reverse that I could back it into the slip like a powerboat if I wanted to...and did a couple of times.

One of the members of the forum was just talking the other day that and said the T37 backs better with the board down. Two weeks ago, after I reinstalled my CB pennant and put the boat back in the water, I was amazed at how much control I had backing about 50 yards so that I could make the turn into my slip. After I was tied up, I realized I had left the board down, and I think the other member is on to something. I'm definitely going to put the board down when backing... at least part of the way... from now on if I have enough water to do so.

Mark

Celtic Lady, Hull #315
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2011 05:19 
Skipper

There is an interesting article on prop walk on the Kiwi Prop home page. http://www.kiwiprops.co.nz/prop_walk.php

I have a KIWI prop and find just a short burst in reverse, then idle then steer works best. With the Kiwi we definitely sail at least .5 kts faster.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2011 10:38 
Skipper

I have the deep fin keel version and, with the original prop, it walked like crazy to port--I think because my original Michigan Sailor prop was grossly overpitched. I had a major improvement with my new Martec Autostream feathering prop because you can adjust how much pitch you give it separately in forward and reverse. The residual problem is that if you want to have a burst of power in reverse (for setting the hook, stopping quickly, etc.) you probably want to be a bit overpitched in reverse or the engine needs to reach full RPM to deliver full horsepower--since you are not running for hours in reverse--setting the pitch is a different deal in reverse; you do not really have to worry about lugging the engine by over pitching--other priorities (safety of getting full power fast) probably prevail. Overpitched props will walk you to the dock. Personally, I find it helpful in docking in tight places when I can pull up on the port side--not so helpful on the starboard.

Surely more than you wanted to delve into the subject.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2011 02:00 
Tactictian

I too have the deep keel version with a two bladed prop. It backs hard to port, but after about 90° and making some way actually steers well with small amounts of rudder. All in all very useful as you can turn in a tight spot (only to starboard though) but can back up if you have space to absorb the nearly 90° turn and get up some speed. I worked this out after complementing an older sailor on how well his boat reversed, and he explained to me that it was a pig until he realised that he needed to allow it to turn and then make way.

Profile Email