Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - 100% jib on stock deck track

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Apr 2024 11:01

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 100% jib on stock deck track
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2011 16:14 
Skipper

Summer is fast approaching and I would like to get a 100% jib in preparation. I’ve had one sail maker tell me I’d have to add a track farther forward. With my 135 furled to about 110% I have the car nine holes back from the forward end of the track so it seems maybe the existing track would work. So has anyone used a 100% jib with the standard deck mounted track?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: 100% jib on stock deck track
PostPosted: 09 Jun 2011 08:17 
Skipper

I don't think I would want to put that much upward force on that track. The force generated from a working jib could be quite significant; however, if you add sufficient backing plates with a tension rod/turnbuckle system that extends down to the hull could work. You would need to keep the adjustable cars right above this spot or through bolt an eye pad at that spot. I have thought of doing something similar with a removable solent stay for a storm jib set up.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2011 13:23 
Skipper

So you're saying our boats are so lightly built that one shouldn't use a #3 headsail without extensive modifications to the genoa car track installation? Has anyone performed these mods? Pictures? Is this one of those projects full of hidden costs? sad

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2011 06:12 
Skipper

I am not saying that the foredeck is lightly built, it's just not designed for the uplift that occurs when the force of a storm jib is applied. I recently cut an overhead hatch through the foredeck and the spinnaker track is bolted through the deck that has a strip of 1/2" X 2 1/2" plywood, encased with resin to separate it from the balsa core. The total thickness of the deck is just under an inch. The only spot along this track that could withstand a lot of uplift would be at the anchor locker bulkhead, but to what extent, I couldn't guess.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2011 10:19 
Skipper

There seems to be some confusion. I'm not interested in a storm jib. I want to run a jib in the range of 100 to 105%. This is pretty much the standard for boats in our area during the spring and summer months. The true wind speed in the afternoon here is between 18 and 25 knots with 20 being about average. You rarely see big genoas in the summer as they can't be used in most parts of the Bay until about sundown. I've never heard of anyone reinforcing the deck for a #3 on any boat before and was wondering if this was an issue with our T-37s. I didn't want buying a smaller headsail to turn out like that $800 windlass that required $1K worth of wire and switches. Shocked

-Jim

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2011 17:29 
Midshipman

My boat, Celtic Lady, was raced in 3 Chicago-Mac races and came with 12 sails, including a 100% jib and a storm jib. The owner put tracks along the top of the cabin outside of the hand rails. When I first got the boat, I tried using this system and it seemed to work well and allowed me to sheet in tight, although later that summer the starboard track developed a leak and I had to re-caulk a couple of the bolts/nuts. Anyway, on Lake Michigan we get just about everything but I find I role my 140 down to a 110 most of the time. With the 140, I'm 9 holes back on the genoa track and with the 110, I'm 6 holes back. It seems like you could use that track at about hole #4 with a 100% jib but I'm not sure how tight you can pull in the sail.

As for the strength up front, I have no idea. But I did look at a T37 on Lake Erie (didn't buy that one) that had a quick release stay (can't recall the name) in the center of the foredeck. I noticed that there were two stress cracks in the headliner inside the v-berth forward of each port. It confirmed that one should always tie some type of support like that to the hull, and that a backing plate was not enough. So in regard to the other reply that was posted, there might be some legitimacy on where and where not to add new stress points up front.

Just my 2 cents.

Mark

Celtic Lady, Hull #315
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2011 21:50 
Skipper

When I was back in SF (I berthed by T37 there for 15 years) I had a 97% (sold to me as a 110%, but it really measured out smaller) and I ran it to the first hole in the genoa track. I think your sailmaker is right--that if you wanted the perfect sheeting angle you would need a track a bit further forward (a foot or two and inboard as far as possible) for really hard on the wind work because it is a bit hard to get the top of the sail tight enough in certain winds. But the current track is very close to being the right and 95% of the time I got good sail shape. I recently removed and rebedded my tracks. There had been some loosening in the 28 years and a lot of 25+ knot afternoons on SF Bay and a roaring 3 days of 28 to 34 knot winds down the Baja coast. I think the deck is strong enough though the holes directly under the point where the block was set, were leaking a bit from working. But I do not think that means there was much of any problem---I have a lot of miles on my boat and considered this a bit of routine maintenance every decade or so.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2011 11:32 
Skipper

I suppose it would depend on the cut of the sail also. My 135 has a high cut clew which leads to sheet farther aft. I'll probably throw myself at the mercy of some sail maker.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2011 18:49 
Skipper

Ardea wrote:
I suppose it would depend on the cut of the sail also. My 135 has a high cut clew which leads to sheet farther aft. I'll probably throw myself at the mercy of some sail maker.

I agree completely.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011 19:51 
Midshipman

Agree.

Celtic Lady, Hull #315
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email