Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Bow Stem Crack in Gel Coat

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Apr 2024 05:25

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bow Stem Crack in Gel Coat
PostPosted: 02 May 2011 18:40 
Midshipman

Back when we had the old Sailnet chat room for Tartans, I thought someone commented on the tip of the bow cracking or breaking loose. Am I dreaming or is this a potential problem. While waxing last week when fitting out, I noticed a small stress crack in the gel coat about an inch or two back from the point of the bow and under the bow plate (or whatever it's called). There was one on each side. I'm not sure if this is just a stress crack or something to be concerned about. The previous owner used a hydraulic back stay and raced it in 3 Chicago-Mackinaw races. I have removed the hydraulic stay the year after I bought the boat because the seal was unrepairable, and changed it back to the orginal backstay.

Anyway, when you put 3 coats of wax on your boat each spring... like a car... you get to know every square inch and I never noticed these two cracks before.

I keep picturing that America's Cup boat that was tensioned so much that it broke in half right during the race. Obviously that was NOT a Tartan.

Mark

Celtic Lady, Hull #315
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Bow Stem Crack in Gel Coat
PostPosted: 04 May 2011 10:05 
Skipper

What I remember seeing in the old paper copies was the stem fitting itself having hairline cracks and breaking. Maybe this was what you were thinking?

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 May 2011 15:24 
Midshipman

I think you may be right, and the stem fitting looks fine. Thanks for the reply.

Mark

Celtic Lady, Hull #315
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 May 2011 21:04 
Able Bodied Seaman

You may want to make sure the bolts are tight, My anchor roller felt off when we sailed home after delivery because of the stress from being moored to a buoy for years. Only one was was holding in the end but they all looked good until they went to the bottom of the lake. It seems that Stainless steel will fatigue abruptly - I just build a hardwood kitchen and used SS screws, the neck snapped on many if I did not drill sufficiently deep pilot holes.

Profile Email