Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Beckson Portlight Frames

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Apr 2024 09:51

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beckson Portlight Frames
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2011 20:08 
Midshipman

I took my 1981 T37 to a marina for some repairs and found 2 of my portlight frames broken, due apparently to carelessness by the marina service crew/person. The marina agreed to replace them, and I asked them to do two more that were chipped. Yesterday when I went to the boat, I found that the portlights they installed did not match the originals. I'm not sure what company they ordered from but they protrude farther out from the coach roof by 1/2 to 1 inch and are a brighter white than the coach roof gelcoat. In one post on our Forum, someone mentioned that the type on the T37 was Beckson PVC PO414-WC-10. Can anyone tell me if this is an exact (or almost exact) match to my orginals. I now have 3 new portlight frames on one side that don't match the 4th orginal, and 1 new portlight frame on the other side that doesn't match the other 3 originals, and I've informed the marina that this will just not do. I need to find out what to order so that I don't have to replace all 8 portlights.

Thanks for your help!

Mark

Celtic Lady, Hull #315
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Beckson Portlight Frames
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2011 06:39 
Skipper

Mark,
Since your boat is now 30 years old, it will most likely be impossible to match the color of the plastic frame of the originals since they have yellowed over the years a bit. I do know that they make different depths to the flanges to match the cabin thickness. You could just replace that last portlight to match what your marina installed on that particular side so at least it looks the same and not many people would pick up that the two sides are different, of course you would and that could be an issue if you're like me Very Happy
The next option would be to use a white paint that adheres to the plastic and paint all of the originals to match the new bright white ports. Krylon makes a white spray paint that could work. Rustoleum may as well. I used the Krylon on my plastic compass cover several years ago and it still looks great adn has stayed true white.
Eventually, you'll want to replace all of them because the plastic dogs/flanges get brittle with age and break.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2011 11:31 
Midshipman

Thanks Tortuga. I understand what you are saying but I see it like taking your car to a body shop to repair a door and the paint they used does not match the rest of the car. It is not my duty to correct this but the marina's. I understand that the boat is 30 years old, but I think maybe the Beckson ports may still resemble the originals. I'm not as concerned about the color being off, for the reason you suggested. But I do want to make sure that I'm not putting 2 Mustang hubcaps and two Chevy hubcaps on a Chevy Impala. Thanks again.

Celtic Lady, Hull #315
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2011 13:27 
Skipper

I repalced all my lens, screens, gaskets, only thing I didnt replace was the frames. I found Beckson to be very helpful and they will work with you to find the right match...althoguh I wouldnt expect them to match color wise very well ;-)

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2011 16:32 
Skipper

A few years ago I got some new lenses and frames from Beckson. They knew what units were used in what Tartan production years. Very helpful. No problem. Call them. There were two different Beckson models used on the T37 C. They changed in 1982, I beiieve and the difference had to do with some longer "ears" in the inside that were sawed off on later models.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2011 10:02 
Skipper

I just bought a new lens for one of my ports and the website I used (http://shop.sailboatowners.com/) had both pre and post-1982 lens. That was nice to know for my 1980 Tartan.

The bad news is that the Admiral has seen how clear the new lens is and wants the other 7 replaced. But she did compromise and say we can get them one at a time.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2011 10:42 
Skipper

Wayne,
While you're biding your time before you replce the other lenses, you could try an ultra fine rubbing compound to polish the old lenses to restore some of the clarity using a soft cloth. It may not get it back to 100%, but it will be better than what they probably are. just s thought.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2011 18:18 
Skipper

We used an electric drill with a pink powerball and Mother's Chrome Polish to clean the lens already. We couldn't see out of any of the ports before we cleaned them. Taking the ports down for polishing is how we found one was broken and needed replacing.

It's a slightly messy job if you get the drill going too fast. Plus if you get too close to the lip, things get interesting. But the admiral was happy with all 8 until the replacement came in. Ooops.

What's interesting is the old ones have a cross hatch pattern melted into them from the outside screens. Between the pattern on the old ones and the visibility of the new one, the Admiral "suggested" that we replace the rest.

I really wish I had taken before and after pictures because the difference is dramatic.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2011 06:53 
Skipper

Wayne,
I know what you mean by the "before and after" effect. I felt the same way when we replace our ports. We went with the stainless replacements and boy did that really make a difference although quite pricey. There is something to be said for being able to see through the ports Cheers
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 May 2011 18:16 
Midshipman

Thanks for all the replies. Apparently Beckson had two styles -- one that protrudes more and has two slits for water drainage (which is what they put on my boat) and the original style. The marina has agreed to pull the ones they put in (3 on one side and one on the other), and replace them with the original style. As was mentioned, they are whiter than the originals due to oxidation and fading, but maybe no one will notice and at some point they'll all be faded to the same color. Thanks again. Oh, and I like the trick of using some polish on the lenses. The old ones are a bit cloudy. I replaced a lense a few years ago from Beckson and also ordered a few screens and rubber gaskets. Everything fit.

Mark

Celtic Lady, Hull #315
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email