Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Hatches

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Apr 2024 10:40

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hatches
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2011 18:02 
Skipper

Well we spent the weekend on the boat in San Francisco being waterboarded by the forward hatch. We rarely use the boat in the rain and it has a canvas cover over the forward hatch when we're not aboard so this was a shock. Looks like the old A-H hatches have reached the end of there useful life. The frame of the opening section is bent from being dropped on the forward dorade boxes and I want to replace them with new hatches. What have others used for replacements and what sizes did you get (I figure I should change them both at once)? The Lewmar Ocean Series looks pretty good. Anyone use those? Flange or flangeless?

-Jim

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Hatches
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2011 06:52 
Skipper

Jim,
I used the Hood, traditional stainless hatch. Wait for boat show pricing and you'll save $$$ Very Happy
See link:
http://www.pompanette.com/pompweb.nsf/a ... enDocument

After several years, they are still new looking and the stainless really makes the whole boat look new.
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011 21:08 
Skipper

I see that a lot of folks replace their AH hatches--the AH may look a bit worn after all this time, but there was a time when folks had to pay extra for a true cast hatch which some of the replacements are not. With new seal (AH sells them for a pretty penny, but a lot less than a new hatch) there is not much to leak with them. However, as I learned when I was in El Salvador with a leaking hatch and no way to get new ones. I had replaced the gaskets before I left. What I discovered is that the hatches had been mounted with self tapping screws and that the leaks were coming through those. Apparently, the deck twists enough that they loosen over time--though they appear fine from the top. I ended up taken the hatches off, filling the holes with epoxy with hard filler, putting in new screws and sealing them. Presto, no leaks in the 3 years since.

FWIW

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2011 07:02 
Skipper

Valera,
There's no doubt that the Adkins-Hoyle hatches are top of the line and I did toy with the idea of replacing the acyric and gaskets, but by the time I re-worked everything and re-annodized the aluminum frame, I would've had a few hundred dollars in it so I bit the bullet and went new. I'm still glad I did, the new stainless hatch really made a visual difference to make her look like a new boat. It's really a personal choice. Cheers

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2011 15:47 
Skipper

Ray, I thought about rebuilding at one time As the A-H is very sturdy hatch. But the top frame is bent. So I'd need a frame (or some $$$ labor to straighten the old one), plexiglass, seals, hinge springs, latches, etc. And I HATE sleeping on the wet spot. Chuckle Some parts of this old boat have out lived their useful life span and I think the hatches are to that point. I'd also like to be able to lock the hatch which we do now by tying the latch handles together, a solution that is simple yes...elegant?...maybe not so much.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2011 19:38 
Skipper

Tortuga's Lie wrote:

After several years, they are still new looking and the stainless really makes the whole boat look new.

Tom, everything on your boat looks new. You and Dr. Solberg set the bar pretty high. Very Happy

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2011 06:51 
Skipper

Ardea,
Thanks for the compliment......these old girls really shine when loved Very Happy

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2011 09:03 
Skipper

Tom, OK I was just at what passes for a boat show here and got no joy looking for hatches. I notice on the Pomonette site that the hatch you used is said to have a screw type latch. In the picture on the web site it shows a lever type latch. Did you end up with the lever or the screw type ( you know large nut you spin up to latch the hatch). Also does that hatch open 180 degrees or just 90 or so? Thanks for any info.

Jim

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2011 05:55 
Skipper

Jim,
The "Traditional Hatch" that I bought from Pompenette/Hood has a lever style handle, but it allows for adjustment for the amount of gasket pressure. You also have the option of adding external levers to be able to open from the outside, but there's no good way of locking the hatch when you use the outside levers. It does indeed open to a full 180 and it uses a support arm that controls the degree of opening. To me this arm is the weakest link in these hatches, they seem fairly light duty although they give you two arms for the large hatches and one arm for the smaller ones....of course, after about 4 years, they still work as good as the day I installed them.

Cheers,
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2011 17:16 
Skipper

Thanks for that info. It's difficult to decide anything when you can't see the hardware in person.

-Jim

Profile Email