Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Removing / re-installing quadrant

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Apr 2024 07:18

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Removing / re-installing quadrant
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2011 21:26 
Rail Meat

One of several winter projects to be completed on Wild Jasmine is to install the new rudder and pintle which I just picked-up from the Tartan factory in Painesville, OH. To drop the older rudder requires removing the quadrant from the rudder post. This is new territory for me, since my previous boats have had tiller steering. I don't want to screw it up.

Looking down through the open lazarette seat, I see that there are two cable clamps securing each steering cable to the quadrant. The outer set of clamps are clearly visible and it looks like I ought to be able to remove them without too much difficulty. The inner set (closest to the rudder post) are mostly hidden from view and will be something of a pain to unscrew.

My concern is about how to reassemble the cable clamps in such a way that the steering cables are properly tensioned. I'm sure that there has to be trick to this, but at the moment it eludes me. I would welcome any advice or pointers.

Thank you,
Eriks

Wild Jasmine
T37 K/CB #258

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Removing / re-installing quadrant
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2011 07:35 
Skipper

Eriks,
Welcome to the T-37 forum!
I have taken mine apart a couple of times now, one time when I replaced my cables and re-powdercoated my pedistal and a second time last year when I re-built my rudder. The project may seem more daunting than it really is but care should be taken so things line up back the way they were. When taking off the originals, you can use tape (I like electrical) to wrap around the cable where it just touches the quadrant before it wraps around in the cable groove. A Sharpie marker may be used as well, but it may be harder to spot when reassembling. Make sure your wheel and rudder are centered before marking and taking things apart. You can also use a Sharpie to mark the threads of the tension-adjusting bolts at the terminus of the cables so you know that you are back to the original setting. Use a Sharpie or a scratch awl to mark the rudder post just above where the quadrant bolts onto the post so you can replace it at the same height.
When re-tensioning the cables, make sure you get them snug, but don't over tension them or you'll increase wear on the sheaves and matching grooves etc....
Make sure your rudder stays centered and that you have the brake on the wheel set so it stays put, take up the slack evenly, alternating sides from time to time....
If you haven't had the cables replaced before, now might be just the time to do so, especially if they are originals. If you do, the cables are crossed inside the pedistal and they need to be that way so when you turn right, the boat goes right Very Happy
Also, when you re-assemble everything, give it all a good coating of anti-corrosion spray like Boeshield or similar.
Hope this helps,
Tom

Profile Email