Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Some refit projects

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Apr 2024 07:16

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Some refit projects
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2011 11:33 
Tactictian

I thought I would share some projects I am trying to complete before heading to the Marquesas in a month.

First was an inner forestay, way forward as a Solent Stay. I want to be able to run two poled out jibs, and need a stay for my storm staysail.

I reinforced the deck of the chainlocker with a beam of 1" marine ply that mounts my anchor rollers, windlass and the forestay fitting. A turnbuckle links the forestay fitting to the stem. I also divided the chainlocker fore and aft.

Then up the mast to fit the fitting, and I added two mast steps about 4 ft below the top at the same time so that I can work on the top of the mast more easily. Also pulled out an old redundant wind instrument cable and left a messenger.

I will be adding photos when I can work out how to upload them; there seems to be a very small file size limit?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Some refit projects
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2011 11:13 
Rail Meat

I'm looking forward to the photos and a trip report after your arrival in the Marquesas!! You can typically resize the photos in whatever photo software you use...

Taft

Pura Vida

Chesapeake

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2011 18:18 
Skipper

I would really be interested in your forestay arrangements. Photos inside the anchor locker would be great.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2011 19:18 
Tactictian

I gave up posting pictures, but you can link to my Picasa web photos here if you are interested: http://picasaweb.google.com/11709775143 ... iS3J2TsQE#

Includes photos of the anchor locker.

Also the deck forward, port water tank check and the new shelves in the three lockers behind the port settee, new flat floor in the quarterberth locker, and removal of all chainplates for inspection.

I have an all new set of standing rigging and wanted to check that it was tied to something solid.

I found hairline cracks in the aft lower chainplates where the horizontal joins the chainplate in both the horizontal member and the actual chainplate. I am getting new ones made $50 a side here in La Paz, slightly oversized.

The chainplates are easy to get out, but quite a bit of cabinetry to get at them. Cheap peace of mind though, I have seen some scary photos in this forum of chainplates on our 30 year old boats.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2011 21:13 
Rail Meat

Chainplates: I Couldn't agree more! After a thorough (or at least expensive) pre-purchase survey and separate rigging survey, Adagio (Hull #8, 1976) had the port aft lower shroud chainplate break on a port reach with a reef in during a Gulf of Mexico in November 2009. Luckily, I was only 50 miles from land at the time and I was able to jury-rig a temp shroud to stabilze the mast after getting the sail down (in the wave action the loose shroud fouled the main) and motor through some serious seas to safe harbor. Reading the writeup on Tartan 37 chainplates in Good Old Boat drove it home as not just something unique to my boat.

Judging by the bright metal after the break, the only thing holding it together was the sealant and a section of metal smaller in cross section than a pencil when it broke. Above deck and below they looked perfect until --but stainless readily corrodes in an anaerobic environment like old bedding compound. The design is poor IMO-- a weld at a stressed bend in the tang--but it does make the port settee 6 inches longer and it held up for 36 years!

My starboard aft lower chainplate was bad as well, but much easier to replace. Total was about $200 to have fabricated locally. I recommend taking a really good look at them if you've never

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2011 13:07 
Tactictian

I just found some tiny cracks at the bend in the chanplates so I had two new ones made.

I added gussets at the corner and he made them out of slightly wider flat bar (about 1/4" wider)

I also uploaded photos of the upper solent stay fitting and the Storm Jib I bought used off this forum.

http://picasaweb.google.com/11709775143 ... iS3J2TsQE#

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2011 20:45 
Rail Meat

"I added gussets at the corner and he made them out of slightly wider flat bar (about 1/4" wider)"

Those are genius! I wish I had spec'd the same, that should be the standard on any T37C aft lowers--the gussets alone make it much stronger...

Profile Email