Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Galley countertop and Icebox (refrigerator)

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 09:57

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Galley countertop and Icebox (refrigerator)
PostPosted: 18 Oct 2010 18:35 
Skipper

Has anybody removed the countertop in the galley or done any work on the icebox? I really need to get the counter top off to do some work on the Icebox and any advise would be appreciated. Confused

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Galley countertop and Icebox (refrigerator)
PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010 06:10 
Skipper

I believe Eric on Kimberlite removed his entire box and rebuilt it with vacuum panels. He sold the boat a couple of years ago, but you may be able to track him down. I tiled over my countertop and looked at everything pretty closely. The best I could determine without tearing things apart too badly, was that the plastic laminate was applied after the plywood sub-base was screwed down. I see no indication of it being fastened from below. I have pictures that Eric forwarded to me that I'll try and post later...
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2010 20:05 
Skipper

Thanks Tom

I would really appreciate any photos or direction possible. I am not sure why I am having so much trouble getting this info. Surely somebody has removed their counter top or refrigerator. I contacted Tartan and they thought it was screwed on from underneath but nobody there remembers how they were installed.

Any other clue as to Eric's email or last name or city or current boat?

Stephen

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2010 07:07 
Skipper

Eric's last name is Friedman and, last I knew, he had an Amel which I think he named Kimberlite (the rock that produces diamonds as Eric was a jeweller) as well. He took the whole thing apart and posted a lot of pictures at the time on his website. I certainly have never had a problem with the insulation in this box, even during two years cruising in Central America with an ancient Adler-Barbour refrigerator unit. My main problem was freezing stuff at anything but the lowest settings. I did put rubber seals on the top hatches and put plugs in the drainholes so the cold would not run out. I think this is important to keeping the cool.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2010 15:22 
Able Bodied Seaman

Ps.

You can post my email address on the tartan site and anyone that wants to see photos or discuss problems, have them write to me. I think I had to wedge the refrig countertop up and then put a hacksaw blade in the opening and cut the screws. It was rather medieval getting it apart but it came apart..

Fair Winds

Eric
kimberlite [kimberlite@optonline.net]

Profile Email