Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Chesapeake T37's - What size head-sail? Mainsail Battens?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 02:17

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chesapeake T37's - What size head-sail? Mainsail Battens?
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2010 21:15 
Skipper

I'm looking at replacing my cloth and soliciting any and all suggestions. What size Genny do you have for general use. This sail would be on a Harken Unit II Mk IV, currently have a pentex 150 by Doyle, pretty pleased with it, and surprised how well it holds its shape when partially furled, and it was bought used designed for a Sabre 38.

I would like the new main to use full battens, was thinking 4? Maybe 5? The current main has partial battens and three reef points, have never needed the third reef, should I still get a third in the new one?

I am learning more about sails and sail-making, but would say I am a novice, any insight would be much appreciated. Frustrating

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Chesapeake T37's - What size head-sail? Mainsail Batten
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2010 11:43 
Skipper

Bump

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2010 07:43 
Able Bodied Seaman

I had a new main and genoa made last winter. I used the Doyle loft in Detroit, Mi. The genoa is a 150 and the Main has four battens on the old Harkens system. I uploaded a post to this site early this year about my decision. After a summer of racing and cruising, I would strongly recommend them for your consideration. They are absolutely beautiful and perform very well in all kinds of weather. The main has 2 reef point; I have only used the first reefs. I raced the Chicago-Mackinac Island race in July and encountered every weather condition possible, except for a snow storm. These sails performed flawlessly. Can't say the same for my very old asymmetrical spinnaker, which I am now in the process of replacing.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2010 21:33 
Skipper

I am not sure of the wind conditions on the Chesapeke, but they may suggest a 150. But I have always liked to have sails just a shade smaller than others. I hate what reefing does to a genny's shape and I think shape is more important than size (within limits) on most points of sail, with the possible exception of DDW. I used a 105% when I was in San Francisco on my deep fin T37 and found it was right. I opted for a 125% up here in Penobscot Bay and am very glad I did not go larger because there is generally enough wind (10 -17Kt) to move us as well or better than anyone else or there is no wind. So I think it matters where you intend to sail. My new one is 8.6 oz. cloth.

I have had 3 mains in 18 years of ownership and 2 years of cruising and have never had need for a 3rd reef, but I was in Central America and the Caribbean.
I have asked the sailmaker to put the 2nd reef deep in the sail. Used it a couple times in many miles and years.
I think most sailmakers would not recommend a 3rd reef because if it gets that bad you either need a trysail or you need to get rid of the whole sail and go with bare poles.

FWIW.

Profile Email