Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Replacement Beckson Port Lens

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 09:12

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Replacement Beckson Port Lens
PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010 21:48 
Skipper

I ended up replacing all the lens, gaskets, screens, and changed out the old annoying knobs with latches. The removal of the old stuff and install of the new took my wife and I about 5 hours. I did the removal and she cleaned and inserted the screens & gaskets, then I followed installing the lens & latches.

The most time consuming part was removing the knobs, the pins were a real bitch. I managed to get them all out without any damage except one in the head, and it was minor. I used a punch and hammer tapping out the pins. After the first couple we started to get a good system down.

The new lenses make such a difference, and the new latches flip open in a second. It will be nice to be able to close up the ports quickly when there is a storm coming through Wink

Total cost was around $550 for everything. Contact Matt Reed at Beckson, Tel: 203-333-1412 or oemsales@beckson.com
Matt provided great service and even followed up after the sale. I must have sent him a dozen emails LOL. The only issue (other than the one latch hinge that I partially broke off) was determining what lens to order. In 1982 (the year of our boat) they changed the hinge width. Matt sent me one but it was very tight so the other 8 I ordered had been milled. A few of them I ended up inserting nylon washers to fill some of the gaps, oh well. All in all it was one of the best improvements/repairs we have done to the boat…I can actually see out them now 

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email