Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Replacement Beckson Port Lens

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 03:00

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Replacement Beckson Port Lens
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2010 19:29 
Skipper

Several of my port lens are broken and leak when it pours and I would like to replace them. I would really like to replace the whole thing with some NFM stainless ones but the admiral says no Wink I have emailed Beckson but wonder if anyone knows the size of the lens so I can do some price checks on-line. It looks like Defender sells them, as does go2marine.

Thanks

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Replacement Beckson Port Lens
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2010 07:14 
Skipper

They are 4" x 14".

Jim
Odyssey #191

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2010 09:05 
Skipper

I called Beckson when I replaced some of mine and the person there knew which ones were used on the T37. There were two different kinds and the one they used on my boat (1982) was modified--- I think it had some models have "ears" on it that are removed but there was not just one 4x14 Beckson model used. I have never had a problem with them leaking but have reset them twice in 18 years of ownership (not a really big job as long as the PO did not use 5200) and I found you need to keep the surfaces of the gaskets clean. I was always afraid to go to metal because I did not want to risk starting some leaking when I had no problem. Found I could clean the cloudiness up with Brasso and do so every couple of years. Put new gaskets in a couple. Beckson sold me parts like screens, barrel bolts, and lenses separately.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2010 08:03 
Skipper

What Velera said was correct. However, if you plan to replace the entire assembly, it shouldn't matter. I've used both the older design and the newer design with no problem. I believe the first change was to the lens dog-down 'ears.' There was a slight change but I've been able to interchange lenses with no problem. However, Becksen now makes the assemblies as self draining, which has added a drain 'gutter' on the lower slope of the outside piece. I added one of these last spring, and it does keep water from laying in the port light due to its slight incline. With that assembly, you do need to modify the opening slightly to accomodate drain 'gutters' on the bottom of the outer assembly. It's not hard, and I'd recommend that design.

Jim

Odyssey #191

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2010 20:49 
Skipper

I'm not quite following, any pictures?

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2010 11:29 
Skipper

Don't have any pictures handy but I believe the beckson website will show the new self draining designs. Also, I believe the website, when ordering lenses, will ask when the ports were built because of the minor changes to the thickness of the dog down tabs. If I recall it was around 1984, but I've found the lens change really doesn't matter much.

Jim

Odyssey #191

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2010 13:40 
Skipper

Okay, I guess I was having trouble understandin what the mod was you made with the news ones. Can I change out the thumb nuts to something easier, such as the lock tabs they have availbale without much mods?

I'm awaitng a reply from Beckson as well, good company!

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2010 18:43 
Skipper

I think you can change from the screw type to the lever type dogging mechanisms. I haven't changed an existing port light but I have the lever type with the new ports I installed. The lever type are slightly more convenient in most locations.

The self draining port lights have a 2 little drain 'gutters' the extend from the lens to outer lower edge of the outer piece. I think all other parts are identical. This 'gutter' protrudes about 1/2" x 1/2" at the 2 locations where the outer piece fits throught the cut opening for the portlight. These will be obvious if you buy the self draining type. What isn't obvious until you take the old port light out is that these protrusions will interfere with the existing opening. Slight grooves about slightly larger than the protusions need to to made to the opening to accomodate the protrusions created by the 'gutters.' It's easily done with a small hand saw, dremel, etc. Again, this will be obvious when you try it. I mention it so you can be prepared with the right tools before you start. I thought I could pop the old one out, and pop the new one in without modification. Luckily, I did have the right tools with me.

I recommend the new self draining versions.

Jim

Odyssey #191

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2010 16:06 
Tactictian

I would go for the NFM stainless ones.

I did and am delighted though got pretty bored by no. 8!!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2010 21:35 
Skipper

WOuld love to replace with new stailness ports, but thats way way down the list. I did get Beckson to send me one port to check the fitting, but failed to ask about ones that have the drain. The one they seems that it will fit fine, oif just slightly larger than the OEM by about an 1/8"

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email