Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - New Autopilot

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 17:50

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Autopilot
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2010 11:41 
Rail Meat

Has anyone put in a new digital autopliot recently? I'm going to do so this winter and am looking for a recommendation on function and fit for a T37. I'd like it to be totally underneath the stern seat and not the belt-driven type on the wheel.

Thanks!

Scott Pearson
Tranquility #279

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: New Autopilot
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2010 19:01 
Skipper

I didn't put it in recently, but rather 15 years ago. I put in an Autohelm (now Raymarine) because it had an electric clutch and drive unit that no one else had. Hydraulic are soggy and slow and ruin the feel of sailing when not engaged (at least on the deliveries I did with one of them). I put in the short linear drive transversely under the seat as you describe. The short unit just fits, but any of them will require some glass work to attach it and the rudder reference unit you will need. I am happy to provide you with photographs. I also considered the Alpha 3000 at the time, but you have to disengage the thing with a pin and I am really glad I did not buy that because I use the pilot often for a few minutes to get a beer or look at the chart or cruising guide and unhooking something is a pain. Autohelm used to have a patent on the electric clutch mechanism, but it may have expired and others may be making a similar unit. If the website had the capacity (which I think it does not) I could outline the steps and I think I have photographs of the process.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2010 15:36 
Rail Meat

Photos would be nice. Sounds like a Technical Resource opportunity.
Thanks,

S/V Dragonfly, T37 #249

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2010 18:46 
Skipper

Betty Lou has an Alpha Marine below deck autopilot, installed by the p.o. I love this pilot! Absolutely trouble-free, and very low power usage. Many circumnavigators swear by them for their reliability, simplicity, and good steering, even in following seas.

These are not fancy, they can't interface with your chart plotter, etc. But it is reliable to a fault. I have a wired remote for mine that lets me hand steer from under the dodger. Yes, there is a pin that engages and disengages the pilot, but it is actuated with a cable led to the autopilot recess and is not a problem. One quick push of the handle to disengage the pilot

I have used it extensively off the Oregon/Washington coast in large seas and it always handles the conditions.

I've not had to use the tech support or repair services, but have heard the company's service is excellent.

Here's a link:

http://www.alphamarinesystems.com/

Later --

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email