Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Rocna anchor

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 17:43

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rocna anchor
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2010 12:10 
Skipper

My boat came to me with a 35# CQR. I have chartered boats with a CQR also and I'm less than thrilled with it's performance in the way of setting and I'm afraid it will skip out with a 180* turn in the wind or current. Last weekend we were out on a mooring at the local state park and a fellow was touting his Rocna anchor. It sounded interesting but in searching the web I find few forum posts addressing this anchor where the designer or wholesaler/manufacturer doesn't pop up and counter any negative claims. It seems to have faired well in the better known anchor tests. Has any one used the Rocna. I would be interested in real world accounts of it's performance in a variety of bottoms and conditions but this info seems hard to find.

Jim

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Rocna anchor
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2010 14:57 
Skipper

LOL, you may be referring to Craig Smith I think? He is not well liked by many as you seem to have found, his tactics were less than welcomed by many Rolling Eyes They made a huge mistake by not getting the Patent on the design and Manson got ahead of them with a well designed "copy" of the Rocna. Personally I didn't really care which, Rocna or Manson Supreme, I wanted the one that fit right and was the right $$. There are some engineering differences that some would consider important, I'm not that obsessed Wink Here is a good thread on the topic, oh and BTW it seems now the Rocna is being produced in China, argg: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-main ... nchor.html
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-main ... china.html

Our boat also came with a 35# CQR knockoff I didn't really care for, as you said, hard to set if it would set at all. We just replaced it with a Rocna 33#. I had originally bought a Manson Supreme 45# but after trying to fit it to the bow roller I gave up and returned it and got the Rocna.

As far as performance goes, well it holds like your tied to a tree. Only once so far have I had an issue setting on the first attempt, otherwise it has held strong every time, most notable during a 40+ mph wind gusts during a storm which shifted the boat about 180 degrees or so and lasted for about 30 minutes.

Fortunately the prices have come down considerably which makes them more competitive with the Manson and Delta.

My Danforth and CQR rip off are now used as back ups only, and I sleep much better as well.

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2010 15:10 
Skipper

Thanks for the reply. Yup Craig Smith is the one. It sounds like owners are pretty happy with them. I need an anchor that will let me sleep at night and I've come to the conclusion that the CQR is not the one.

I did get a kick out of the folks commenting on the made in China thing. I think they are building a steel bridge in San Francisco Bay that was partly made in China as are a majority of the cranes that off load the container ships in Oakland. Wink Now off to cajole the chandlery into giving me a deal.

-Jim

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2010 15:29 
Skipper

FWIW, I picked mine up from Worst Marine...I would have tried to search for a better price but we were leaving for a two weeke cruise the next day Snicker

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2010 17:50 
Skipper

I found several outfits on line all more expensive than WM. Hard to believe. Do you think the 20 kilo Rocna would fit the bow roller?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2010 18:28 
Skipper

I bought a 25 KG Rocna a few years ago when they were still fairly new (made in British Columbia) and have been very happy with it. I had to cut the "ears" off the roller a bit to make it fit, but that was easy to do. I think the proper size for our boats is the 20 KG but I decided to go a bit bigger.

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2010 10:02 
Tactictian

I bought a 20kg Rocna and am delighted in 6 months of using it every night, mostly in sand.

I had a 35 lb CQR but felt it was too small. I think the Rocna sets faster and harder.

I would have bought a Manson, but couldnt make it fit the bow roller. As it was I had to redrill the roller as low as possible to get the deeb web in.

Overall delighted, I boght from WM off the web, they have occasional vouchers and delivery to the local store is free.

Charlie

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2010 12:01 
Skipper

Well I bit the bullet and picked up a 20 KG Rocna at WM this weekend. When I first saw it I thought we might end up with an anchor with a boat trailing behind as it looks much bigger than the 35# CQR it raplaced but it looks good on the boat and fits the existing bow roller pretty well. I'm going to add a couple plastic (nylon, delrin, etc.) pads to the ears of the bow roller so they contact the flukes of the anchor. That should prevent it from rocking left and right (or even port and starboard). We will be trying it out next week and I'm looking forward to sleeping more soundly. Thanks to all who replied. Rocna owes you guys a commission.

-Jim

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2010 09:04 
Skipper

Congrats!

If anyone is interested, here are a couple of videos showing the perfromance of some popoluar anchors...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsDRQHbpv-M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmGAckf6 ... eature=fvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWXOurOi ... re=related

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2010 14:57 
Skipper

Cool! That video kind of sums up some of my experience with the 35# CQR.

-Jim

Profile Email