Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Rocna anchor

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 18:33

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rocna anchor
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2010 17:24 
Skipper

Interesting........Has anyone purchased the #20 Rocna for less than $450? I have a Delta and Bruce and have found them to be OK on the Chesapeake, but I worry about the top end holding power of the Bruce and I wonder about the intitial set of the Delta; although I haven't experienced any issue with either after 15 years of gunkholing around the Bay....thoughts?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2010 21:28 
Skipper

You really don't need to oversize with the Rocna, in fact they recommend you don't. The Rocna 15kg/33# is whats recommended for our boat, it's what I am using and paid just over $400 at WM

"Unlike other manufacturers, our sizing recommendations are intended to provide an anchor adequate for use in most all conditions. For more on our philosophy and rationale, please consult our knowledge base article about the Rocna sizing philosophy and rationale (click here) ."

See here: http://www.rocna.com/main.php?section=b ... ing&page=1

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2010 10:56 
Midshipman

We replaced our 35# CQR with a 35# Manson Supreme a few years ago and have been extremely happy with it's performance.

I would highly recommend you add a wash down pump, as these anchors come up with a ton of muck still attached to them.

SOLARE #442

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2010 15:07 
Skipper

Hmm. Our boats fall between the cracks of the table a little bit it seems to me. The T37 is considered a 9 ton boat by the Coast Guard and mine must weigh every bit of that with all the crap I've bolted on in the last few years. Very Happy A local fellow is currently cruising Mexico on his C&C Landfall 38. He opted to go up one size on the Rocna and bought a 55# anchor. He says it's worked good in 40 knot blows. That seemed pretty big on my bow so I went with the 44#. He uses all chain rode and I have only 80 feet of chain.

BTW, his web site chronicles some great projects. Check it out:

http://www.wbryant.com/index.htm

-Jim

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2010 16:42 
Skipper

I should have added to my post some of the considerations why I went with the 33#, we have no windless, we cruise the Chesapeake for now, and the bow roller/furling drum space wouldn't accommodate anything larger without some significant modifications. I would probably have gone up to the 44 if we cruise outside the bay, but for now I think the 33# is more than adequate. Very Happy

Cheers

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2010 11:27 
Skipper

That's funny I was discussing this thread with my wife (figured she would really balk at the size of the 44 but she was ok with it) and she said maybe those with the 33 were cruising on the Chesapeake. I said good point. Very Happy Based on my limited experience on the Chessy (2 charters) I would go with the 33 also also for cruising there. I wanted to be able to sleep anchored in Drakes Bay on the northern California coast and we have a windlass. It would be a no brainer if I didn't have a windlass. In that case I'd have gotten an 11# Danforth. Chuckle I'm going to have to make some changes on the foredeck for the 44 also.

-Jim

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2010 14:09 
Skipper

I'll second the installation of a washdown pump......It has made life soooo much more pleasurable Very Happy No more buckets!!!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2010 15:27 
Skipper

Tortuga's Lie wrote:
I'll second the installation of a washdown pump......It has made life soooo much more pleasurable Very Happy No more buckets!!!

Aint that the truth Cheers I found ours hidden behind the bulkhead under the galley sink, so it was free Toast

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2010 22:22 
Rail Meat

Purchased the 20 kg Rocna from West for $400+tax at the Boston Boat Show early this year. Have been limited to just a few times out this summer without high winds, but can tell you that in outer Hadley Harbor where grass seems to have become widespread we brought up what looked like a bail of hay & mud that had to weight 200#. (The windlass slipped a little getting the shank over the roller but a second try got it up and over.) No experience yet to prove superior holding but it's one helluva plow. I too traded 35# CQR for the promise of more security.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011 21:38 
Rail Meat

Sounds like a rare consensus on a topic. I'm in violent agreement

I've been very pleased with my Rocna, I bought through local WM at a slight discount.

35# CQR was sketchy at best, it provided more of a controlled drag function rather than what I wanted, which was to sleep at anchor like I was on a mooring. When I discovered that the hinge pivot was nearly rusted through (pin had 3/8" of play) it became a garden feature. This was not visible unless I was in the dinghy at the bow with the anchor stowed--rare for me.

The Rocna sets nearly instantly, holds like a mangrove tree. Price was comparable to the Manson (non-chromed), but I did not like the way the Manson is welded down the center--this is an open invitation for corrosion IMO.

Where it is made is of limited concern to me--the quality of the workmanship appears top-notch. I'm unsurprised that anything is manufactured in China. This move is likely the reasoning for the pricepoint shift to be comparable with Manson design from a few years ago.

Good luck

Profile Email