Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Companionway hatch retaining water

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 11:52

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Companionway hatch retaining water
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2010 17:19 
Able Bodied Seaman

When I open then close my companionway hatch after a rain, a pint or more of water cascades down from the rear bottom edge (usually down my neck but I'm a slow learner). There are weep holes in the turtle but they are located maybe a quarter inch or so above the coachtop. Before I simply elongate the holes downward, or take the whole thing apart has anyone else had this experience and fixed it?

New Day T37 #16
Newport RI

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Companionway hatch retaining water
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2010 20:47 
Skipper

Yes and no. Yes we've experienced it. No we haven't fixed it. When all is buttoned up our dodger prevents most water from getting in there. But right after a heavy downpour we'll get some dribbling upon sliding the hatch open. Thus far we just clean up with a paper towel and call it part of the thrill of a 29yr old boat. As primarily daysailors, it's not a frequent issue.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2010 21:03 
Midshipman

On a related note, I was recently on the boat during a downpour, which was blowing from the aft port quarter. I had a lot of water running down the inside of the companionway boards. I don't recall ever having that much water make it's way inside. I wasn't able to see anything that looked to be out of place. It must have been running aft along the hatch channel and then down between the companionway boards and the vertical face of the hatch cover.

Anyone find a way to make the entry more watertight?

Thanks

Doug
Kinsale T37 #22

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2019 13:08 
Rail Meat

I had the exact same problem. Easy fix for me however.

The headliner, which was just a piece of glued on vinyl, had become separated from the hatch. It curled down and acted just like a scoop. It was fantastic at catching whatever water had accumulated under the hood and depositing it on my head as I closed the hatch. This wasn't visible at all, but when I removed the hatch, it was painfully obvious.

Replaced the headliner. No more scoop. No more water. Not from there anyway...

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2019 18:03 
Grinder

Hi John,

Search under general maintenance for the topic “Deck Moisture.” You may find this is similar to the issue you are experiencing. (14 May 2007). I did this while the hatch was off for another project.

Mark

Profile Email