Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - LED cabin lights

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 02:09

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LED cabin lights
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2006 16:11 
Skipper

I've been working on my DC systems, replacing my battery switch, adding a combiner, an inverter/charger, and battery monitor. Now I want to replace my incandescents with LEDs. HAs anyone tried the LEDs sold here:

http://www.sailorssolutions.com/

Pricy, but they look good.

Jay

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: LED cabin lights
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2006 21:42 
Midshipman

Jay,

I have assembled the parts I need to rebuild, replace, and repair my AC and DC electric systems. Where did you put your inverter/charger? I am considering using the starboard side of the engine enclosure under the galley. I then planned to put one group 27 starting battery and four Trojan T105s under the nav seat and behind. That's the heavy stuff...

I plan to put the AC panel in the space the original one occupies and add a primary disconnect right next to it. Then put the Link 2000 next to the DC panel.

I will open a project when I get started and post some pics too.

Thanks,
Craig Connolly
T37 #231

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2006 08:10 
Skipper

Craig,
If you add significant weight on the port side, she'll list more than she already does. Do you have refrigeration yet? The space under the galley is a great spot for the compressor unit.
I've heard of some t-37 owners move the location of the hot water heater just a bit aft, making more room forward for a battery bank. Of course you would have to glass in a tray/shelf for the batteries, but the concentrated weight would be centerlined.
food for thought.
Tom Ehman
Tortuga's Lie

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2006 12:03 
Skipper

alpinista wrote:
I've been working on my DC systems, replacing my battery switch, adding a combiner, an inverter/charger, and battery monitor. Now I want to replace my incandescents with LEDs. HAs anyone tried the LEDs sold here:

The LEDs look nice as long as they're bright enough. That's a major drop in consumption especially when you first turn them on. If you go with them please post a review. I can think of several areas that don't need a very bright light anyway so those would be great for underway.

I saw LED running lights this summer and wondered if they had the range. (But I guess they couldn't sell them if they didn't make the minimums.)

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2006 15:12 
Skipper

My Inverter/Charger is "temporarily" installed behind the battery banks on the port side, just for the winter. I plan to move it to the starboard side under the galley to counteract the port list. I may also relocate my starting battery to starboard.

Jay

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2006 21:03 
Midshipman

Tom,

Thanks for the feed back. I do have refrigeration. It is installed, believe it or not, above the W50...right above the exhaust.

My concern is contributing to the list. With a full fuel tank and empty water tanks the list is pronounced. I'm sure when I add some water in the spring she will level out a bit.

Craig

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2006 21:06 
Midshipman

Jay,

It sounds like we have come to the same conclusion with the inverter/charger. I may get mine hung this weekend. If I do, I'll post some pics.

Craig

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2006 08:07 
Skipper

This is just a personal beef that I have with the marine industry: LED lights are dirt cheap.........Why do they charge thirty or forty dollars for a bulb??????

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2006 17:43 
Midshipman

I've got two Lifeline 8D house batteries at 162 lbs each in the locker aft of the nav seat, and a Heart EMS 1800 inverter/charger in the space above the cabinet portside of the chart table. The Trojan 27 engine start battery is in the starboard lazarette. With 53 gallons of diesel and empty water tanks, there is a decided tilt to port. I probably ought to relocate the housebatteries to get better weight distribution, but haven't decided where. Jay.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2006 17:17 
Rail Meat

Jay,
I have a pair of lifeline 4d's that i located on a tray centerline behind the engine...with full fuel and no water in the tanks i still have a list to port. It balances out nicely with a bit of water in the starboard tank. FWIW

taft
noname #328

Profile Email