Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Old A/C wiring

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 24 Apr 2024 11:15

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Old A/C wiring
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2006 10:35 
Skipper

I have hull #59 and when I first purchased her eleven years ago, I was inspecting the A/C system and discovered that Tartan used solid copper wiring for the A/C wire. Not a good idea for a boat since the vibrations can cause the wire to sever at the connection points, which could cause a short or worse. I immediately switched over to stranded, pre-tinned of appropriate size and sleep better at night.....Food for thought for those with the older T-37's

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Old A/C wiring
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2006 16:07 
Skipper

I am in the process of rewiring the AC system on Rainbow (hull 118). I started with a new AC panel to replace the original toggle switches. I pulled out the switches, leaving the wiring connected so that I could use my jig saw to cut the hole for the panel. As I switched the old toggle switch on to power up the saw, the switch felt kind of gritty and I noticed sparks shooting out the back of the switch. I'm REALLY glad to have a new modern panel in it's place.

Now I need to get myself squeezed back into the space to port of the water heater somehow, to pull new wire!

LAter --

Jay

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2006 06:37 
Skipper

Jay/Rainbow, I also replaced the A/C panel , but since I don't have a big load for A/C, I only put in a six slot panel. It seemed to fit nice on the electric console. My next upgrade will be to replace the D/C panel with a modern one that also incorporates the gauges. Have you checked on the condition of your A/C wire? Check for solid wire and replace if so.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2006 12:09 
Skipper

alpinista wrote:
Now I need to get myself squeezed back into the space to port of the water heater somehow

I've been back there for replacing the engine cutoff cable. I'm not small. You'll fit!

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2006 15:17 
Skipper

My needs are small as well. I installed a small panel with a volt meter, polarity indicator, a 30 amp main breaker, and 3x 15 amp breakers. I am only powering the water heater, and two sets of outlets which supply the computer system, a pair of shoreside lamps, and a small ceramic heater.

Jay

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email