Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Replacing fuel tank

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 06:52

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 Posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Replacing fuel tank
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2019 11:26 
Skipper

Ah, jeez. Sorry to hear that. Now you're going to make me go pressure test mine.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2019 20:34 
Midshipman

puffcard wrote:
Here we are ready to head south from Norfolk and it looks like the fuel tank is leaking very slowly. Guess we'll deal with it Monday.

Sorry to hear that, the good news is that the project was not overly difficult. It was just annoying. We couldn't find a welder who would take the job. The one we trusted the most said, if it were his tank, he'd just use JB weld.... So that's what we did. Seems to be doing a good job thus far.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2019 09:43 
Skipper

If you have the tank out of it's bed I can't see why you wouldn't have it welded and done correctly. JB Weld ? maybe it will hold,,,, maybe not.

The reason I would caution doing this is because I woke up one morning to see that my next door slip neighbor's fuel tank had leaked into bilge then into the marina.... what a mess. This will get you all kinds of attention like the US Coast Guard. They will come and do a report... may fine you,,,, better have some good liability insurance too because I'm sure the marina will want their lump of flesh for the hassle and disruption.

My local welder cost $100,,, and I sleep at night.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2019 10:28 
Midshipman

Mike wrote:
If you have the tank out of it's bed I can't see why you wouldn't have it welded and done correctly. JB Weld ? maybe it will hold,,,, maybe not.

The reason I would caution doing this is because I woke up one morning to see that my next door slip neighbor's fuel tank had leaked into bilge then into the marina.... what a mess. This will get you all kinds of attention like the US Coast Guard. They will come and do a report... may fine you,,,, better have some good liability insurance too because I'm sure the marina will want their lump of flesh for the hassle and disruption.

My local welder cost $100,,, and I sleep at night.

We went to 3 different welders, no one would do the job. The suggestion for the JB weld came from a guy who welds aluminum center cockpit towers all day.

It wasn't my first choice... but it's working until we can replace the tank.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2019 11:16 
Skipper

The guy who welded mine wasn't a run on the mill welder. His business makes custom aluminum and SS fuel tanks. He was ready to make one for me(alum)... $1000 until they inspected the tank and said there was no pitting inside except the lower corner,,,he told me I could spend the money for a new tank OR he could cut the bottom edge out then re-weld that section for $90.

Maybe that's how I got that done ?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2019 16:07 
Skipper

If you need a new tank,try Florida Marine Tanks,in North Carolina.

Hull #6

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2019 16:17 
Midshipman

Mike wrote:
The guy who welded mine wasn't a run on the mill welder. His business makes custom aluminum and SS fuel tanks. He was ready to make one for me(alum)... $1000 until they inspected the tank and said there was no pitting inside except the lower corner,,,he told me I could spend the money for a new tank OR he could cut the bottom edge out then re-weld that section for $90.

Maybe that's how I got that done ?

Ya that's exactly what I was hoping/expecting to do. I just couldn't find anyone who would do it. Loosing that last little corner of volume wouldn't change the tank size all that much and seemed like it would be a pretty easy repair, but I'm not a welder, so I guess it was more difficult/risky than I had originally thought.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2020 11:37 
Midshipman

Another tank refit chiming in.

Started mine this weekend and have removed all fuel, hoses, etc to pull out. Looks like in the previous owner had inspection ports cut out to clean/inspect tank but welded them back in as I did not see these plates on other tanks in the photos and the job is sloppy so I doubt Florida marine tank did the work.

For those that have pulled it out, can two people remove without rigging up a lifting scheme?

I have reached out to Florida Marine Tanks for a new tank quote if this one is too far gone.
I will keep group posted on cost. The new tank will have removal inspection ports at each baffle and I think sized slightly smaller to allow for more air flow around tank. Also going to cut in vent holes in the bulkhead forward of the tank and at the stern bulkhead wall.

If tank is mostly ok except for a bad spot here or there, I have a local welder repair it or learn to do myself.

Specs on the Florida Marine Tank label:
-MFG: 10.84 (Erewhon is a 1986)
-Material: 5052, H32, 0.125 thick aluminum.
-Test pressure: 4 psi
-Capacity: 53 gallons.

The original Shields 1984 fill line hose is badly cracked as well. I think I will just leave that in. lol.

Any additional points of fuel tank wisdom from those that have done it before are welcome.

Warm Regards,
S.V. Erewhon

Attachments:
File comment: Top stern diesel tank
20200112_110318.jpg
20200112_110318.jpg [ 3.97 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
20200112_110311.jpg
20200112_110311.jpg [ 4.34 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2020 07:30 
Skipper

I pulled the tank myself using a hoist. It was secured to one of the hand rails just about the nav desk and next to the port light. When the tank comes out it will have to come out at an angle so that it goes directly forward and just above the top of the nav desk. Since it was just me doing the work I had to inch it up a little at a time then go to the back of the tank and reposition it before going forward again.

Two people will make this much easier as one person could stay with the back of the tank to position it while the other person lifts with the hoist OR simply lifts the tank out.

I reinstalled the tank without using the hoist. It went back in much easier than it came out since the weight of the tank is going down and not up.

By the way, the price for a new one at Florida tanks when I did this was around $1000 , a local tank shop was going to charge around the same amount of money but they took a look at the tank and decided to cut a small section out and repair it,,,, $100. I have to admit the shop owner was an honest guy. He could have made a lot of money from me but it was he that suggested the repair.

Before you start, cover the nav desk with blankets/cardboard or both to keep the tank from scratching the nav desk and nav desk shelve area.

Good luck, the job LOOKS harder than it really is.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2020 14:28 
Midshipman

Thank you Mike for the input.

I got the tank out and the low corner was not as bad as the pictures I saw in this post but still bad enough to have that areas reworked. the rest of the tank was fine. The quote from Florida Marine Tank shipped to my location with three custom access ports into each baffle chamber was going to be about $1700. The yard with my customs modification and a pressure test about $1200. Due to the convenience and the comfort level I gained from the yard welder I chose to go with the yard.

Improvements to the area include removal of some soft wood on the bulkhead near the hull and filling with epoxy and glass tabbing to allow any water that may hit the bulkhead to find its way down into the bilge.

Profile Email  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 Posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next