Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Removing Starboard Water Tank

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 17:11

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Removing Starboard Water Tank
PostPosted: 19 Oct 2009 18:34 
Skipper

I cannot find the posts on removing the starboard water tank. Could somebody help? i have a leak I need to run down and I cannot figure out the best way to remove it. Pictures are welcome.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Removing Starboard Water Tank
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009 05:49 
Skipper

Although I haven't had the need to remove the tank, I have accessed it. You can easily remove the pull-out settee by gently lifting the front edge of the settee as you slide it out. The back rail of the settee is taller than the sides forming a positive stop, by lifting the front edge, you are in effect lowering the rear rail so it will clear the opening. The tank is held in place by a couple of wooden cross pieces and by foam insulation that they poured in place to lock things together. I don't remember how securely those wooden cross memebers are and how easily they could be removed.

Good luck,
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009 16:35 
Tactictian

Heres my thread on the subject. If I can be of further help please let me know. Charlie

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=268&hilit=

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2009 12:30 
Skipper

Turns out I did not have to remove it. Leak was from the fill and vent fittings being loose and I could reach both starboard and port tank fittings without removing the tanks. Instead of tightening them, I just removed them and replaced the fill with a plug and put in a new vent and new vent line (it was gross and introducing mold into my tanks). There was a lot of crude in these deck fill tubes, they are impossible to clean and I did not use them in the last 17 years---I always filled the tanks by taking the hose in through the saloon hatch and filling them so I could see when they were full. The distance is not that much further and it always seemed handier to do it that way. Hardware store had nice little caps that screw right in the ends of the tubes and into the tank for 79 cents. Problem solved.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2009 10:21 
Tactictian

I agree, I never use the deck fills and the hoses are gross due to the corrugations. I would really like to get rid of the Deck fills too but that is a bigger job.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2010 21:17 
Midshipman

I have had a leak on the port side since I've owned the boat. The old Tartan sailnet discussions pretty much discouraged me from trying to take the sette apart to fix it. I did find a little inspection port which was covered by a little board in the locker at the end of the settee. I found the drain fitting but it was too tight to do anything, including finding whether it was even leaking there.

As for the starboard tank, I was having trouble over the years with leaks just forward of the tank when the hoses (in my boat) led thru a strainer and into the pump. Usually it was just tightening a clamp or replacing a valve leading from the pump. HOWEVER, now I have a leak that seems to be coming from under the tank but still leaks out at the forward "corner" of the starboard settee across from the mast. I will try lifting off the seat as has been instructed... didn't know you could do that.... so I am feeling good this evening that tomorrow I may find the problem. I also can see the corrugated hose and wondered what it was for as I knew it couldn't possibly be the deck fill hose. YIKES!!

I always have used the deck fill on my starboard tank since I bought her in 1996 but you guys may have convinced me not too. Seems like you still get mold build up in the tank whether you use the fill or not. I simply use the bleach recommendations from the American Red Cross for water treatment. Can't remember right now but simply a teaspoon for so many gallons. Careful not to add too much bleach or it will disflavor the water.... kills the bugs though. Smile

T37 #315, Celtic Lady
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2010 21:21 
Midshipman

By the way, how does the port tank come out? Remove the screws and just pull out the white board on the top of the tank? And by the way mine looses all the water, I'm assuming the port tank leak is actually at the bottom of the tank.. .probably the port that goes to the pump?

T37 #315, Celtic Lady
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2010 21:59 
Skipper

You are quite close to my hull number. I would say you do not have to remove either tank to seal up the intake hoses. The hose for the port tank can be accessed from the lazarette under the port settee (cut the hose off and turn the fitting out of the tank and replace it. Hose fitting is aft and to the port side of the tank. Will cost $2. Starboard tank is a little harder but if you remove all that stuff you can reach it (you found it) on the foward end of the tank near the outboard side. Same procedure. Cut the hose and turn the whole fitting out. They are standard fittings you can get at Home Depot. Not as hard a job as I thought once I got to it.

Profile Email