Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Cautionary Keel Tale

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 18:12

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cautionary Keel Tale
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009 19:05 
Skipper

Well, looks like we're down to a 3 month season if we're lucky. Frustrating Postal Rant Rant Rant Rant

Freeze damage to the keel. The yard removed it and decided they need to send it out to a Keel manufacturer. At least that means the new bold will be forged in lead like new.

Can't be sure but the bad bolt is an odd ball. Previous only had her for 3 yrs and there's no evidence of aftermarket work. So looks like Tartan put this time bomb in place. In the pictures, look for the following differences from the bolts that remain in place.

Other bolts have twice the length of threaded end at the top
    Lead is filled in flush at the top right to the bolt. (bad bolt has a depression surrounding it which is filled by water in the pic. But you can see the negative of the depression on the underside in mastik.)

Note for anyone needing the keel off... they needed to drill out a hole under the mast step to access the forward bolt without removing the entire mast step sub structure.

Don't have a new estimate yet, but it's $3k for the round trip to Ontario. Ugh!
Am I foolish for thinking we could have day sailed on this all season with 9 good bolts and done the fix in the fall? I'd rather have a mellow-only season for 6 months than a three month anything goes. After watching them work to get that keel off, I know it wasn't coming off on it's own.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Cautionary Keel Tale
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009 19:31 
Skipper

Ouch!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked That hurts...and I was complaining about not getting to sail till Memorial day weekend!?

Stupid question maybe, but there are no bolts on the centerboard version... right? Question

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009 21:10 
Skipper

Not that pose a risk of major failure like this, no. Only the full fin 20% get to wonder how there's was put on... and of them, only those who go through freeze cycles.

You guys just get the pennant problems and I guess alignment issues.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2009 18:38 
Skipper

What was the symptom that led you to know you had a problem? Were you tightening? Did you have a blister on the side of the keel? I have seen an example of an alternative repair process on another boat with the same problem. They cut into the side the lead keel at the problem bolt head level and--as I recall--replaced one bolt (or just pushed it back in) and poured some lead around it--or epoxy. They mount winches without bolts with West+ 403 on round the world racers so I would think it would be stronger than lead if done properly.

Thanks for sending this along. I am now in freeze land with a fin keel after 17 years in San Francisco. I had to tighten the bolt under the mast step (it can be done with a twelve point socket and a breaker bar) as it was a bit loose. I am not sure what it holds as there does not appear to be that much keel under the mast step..

Another thing that I have done is to use carbon fiber tape laminated in West 403 at the seam between the keel and stub. Not sure if that would prevent this problem, but it did not crack for 10 years until I hit a rock in Miami's government cut (yes there is one there) at 6.5 kt. Then it was a hairline.

Thanks again for sending this along.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2009 19:06 
Skipper

It may be shorter than the rest, but there's a bolt under the mast step. Check the last pic and look for the loner up front.

Not sure if it would have made a difference, but last spring there was the beginning of a bulge. Lead was in tact, epoxy coating had cracked. We took advice to sand it down and epoxy then paint. End of the season it looked the same. This spring was the damage. So in hindsight, it would have been worth the effort to drill into the bulge last year and try to drain any water. Then seal the keel bolt with caulk/epoxy. Prevent more water from travelling down the bolt. Or at least create an exit at the bulge each winter. Water isn't a problem as the bolts are stainless, freezing is the only issue.

My other suggestion for you is any time you really torque your keel on anything like running aground, dry out your bilge and caulk around your bolts just in case. If it was a really big hit, maybe even remove/losen the nuts one by one and rebed the washers, but that would be a pretty big task. But there's no way to know water's getting down the bolt. And I'm told most folks don't get a warning bulge. And since this repair will end up well into 5 figures, it might be worth the preventative effort. We never hit anything, I still think our bolt was an oddball. The other nine nuts were still on tight.

That alternate fix you mentioned was plan A. Boat yard was thinking of that but it's too big an area to fill w/ epoxy/mastik. So the good fix is the same but forging lead around the bolt again. More $$$ but it's going home to it's creator as it turns out so it will be as good or better than new.

If you want to see where your keel was made, I'm told they did all the keels for Tartan into the 90's.
http://www.marskeel.com/

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2009 00:24 
Skipper

Took a while for BoatUS to give the approval for the trip to Montreal, but the keel is on it's way as of Monday. The yard weighed it for shipping. 8200 lbs if anyone's curious.

Major withdrawals are kicking in as the weather improves and we have no boat. Looks like we'll even miss the 4th. But I took a week of vacation to spend some quality time with her on land. Crying or Very sad

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2009 13:17 
Skipper

Make sure you rub her down and pamper her, maybe even a little sweet talk too..........she's been whimpering.........wants to sail Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2009 19:28 
Skipper

Absolutely. We've waxed every inch of gelcoat with a pass of buffer or hand applied rubbing compound, then a coat of new fresh wax. Now that's a rubdown. We removed her kidney stones (impeller bits in the heat exchanger). Electrical happens once the parts are in. I'm chasing an oil leak this weekend and doing some deck repair under some tortured fittings.

She hasn't been this white in years. I'll go with a second coat of wax if I run out of projects. (or my parts don't come in on time.) Poor thing deserves a makeover after the amputation.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2009 09:02 
Navigator

You are doin it the right way. Do I understand the insurance company helped out?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2009 09:31 
Skipper

Yes, we have a freeze damage clause w/ Boat US. We pay the deductible. (phew!)

Profile Email