Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Asymmetrical Rigging - Singlehanders

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 14:59

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Asymmetrical Rigging - Singlehanders
PostPosted: 26 May 2009 13:05 
Skipper

I was wondering if some of you singlehanded sailors can tell me how you have rigged your Tartan for asymmetrical spinnakers. If you have a diagram or pictures that would be great.
What are the plus+ and minus- of how you have it rigged ?? Thanks

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Asymmetrical Rigging - Singlehanders
PostPosted: 27 May 2009 10:45 
Midshipman

Mike,

I fly a symmetric spinnaker as an asymmetric, out of necessity rather than choice. I don't have a pole but do have a spinnaker.

I use the ATN Tacker and get my lines set first. A snatch block on the stem fitting runs through bulls eyes to a cam cleat along the stbd cockpit combing. Next I run the sheets. They have shackles that I lock to the mid-ship stanchion and run outside everything to a block attached just forward of the stern cleat. Next the spinnaker is in an ATN sock in a "turtle" bag. I furl the jib and then attach the halyard and sheets and hoist the sail in the sock. I usually have the main locked where I want it for the launch. Either mid-ship or prevented to one side. All this is with the boat on autopilot on roughly the course I need to fly the kite.

Once I check all the lines and make sure I have everything run correctly, I pull the sock up and fill the sail. I only wrap the sock lines loosely around the spinnaker winch to keep them in one place and available quickly. I get back to the helm and trim the sails.

I use the sail sometimes when the air is too light to fill it. But it gives me practice. The more I use it the more comfortable I am with it. I would love to have a true asym!

We, Kate and I, were heading up the Baltimore harbor this past weekend and the wind dropped off. I had the kite setup and we decided to fly it. We were running about 3 knots before the kite. When I pulled the sock up and sail filled it was like a rocket was lit. Our speed went to 6 to 6.5 knots and it was a blast! We needed to be careful with our point of sail as we could easily over power the boat. I made sure I had enough room to stbd to blanket the sail with the main if things got out of hand.

Good luck and have fun!

T37 #231

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 May 2009 11:29 
Skipper

Craig, thanks.
So if I understand you correctly,,, you run the sheets in advance and lock them on the stanchion until needed,, when needed you attach to the spinnaker...prior to hoisting the sock or as the sock is lifted and before the spinnaker is deployed ?

Are your sheets inboard of the furler or outboard ? which do you prefer ?

Mike

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 May 2009 18:55 
Skipper

Sounds close to our Genniker process. Now if only I could rig something to raise the sock from the helm station. Hmmm...

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 May 2009 06:50 
Grinder

I have one addition for when things get out of hand. Install a tylaska or wichard shackle at the tack. These shackles are capable of releasing under load. Run a line from the shackle release back to the cockpit, so when you need to dump the chute you just yank on the line, pop the tack and then leisurely walk to the bow and contain it with the sock. Takes the worry out of flying the kite when you singlehand.
Idea

T37 #31
Abraxas

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 May 2009 06:57 
Skipper

great suggestion and one I will use....

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 May 2009 13:10 
Midshipman

Mike,

After I attach the halyard, I attach the sheet. I run two but only use one at a time. The other remains attached to the windward stanchion. These are run outside the shrouds and will sit along the toe rail and stay fairly dry (important in light air). I don't recall the name of the line that runs to the ATN Tacker so, I'll call it the tack sheet. It runs inboard of the furler and attaches to the ATN Tacker. The Tacker has a snap shackle to pop the tack.

I like the idea of running a line back to the cockpit to remotely pop the tack! Thanks NAM!

T37 #231

Profile Email