Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Projects while sole is removed...

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 22:14

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Projects while sole is removed...
PostPosted: 02 May 2009 18:08 
Skipper

Sadly, High Flight will be a month behind in getting in this season due to ice damage on the keel. The estimate for repairs includes removal of the sole. So my question is...

What projects could I take on in that time that would benefit from the sole being out already?
Looking at the edges, it looks like the bench seats will need to be removed on port and starboard. Anyone know?

Clearly a sand and varnish of the sole would be in order, and we have a water hose to replace (head hot water sink.)
Anything else that will be easier to do while she's gutted?

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Projects while sole is removed...
PostPosted: 04 May 2009 05:56 
Skipper

That's not likely an easy job!!! One project I am getting ready to tackle is to replace all of the fresh water hosing which would be a lot easier without the sole in place. Other than that, there's not a lot of systems that run under the flooring. Good time to clean though, maybe even re-paint the bilge.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 May 2009 10:44 
Skipper

Good call. I could prep and pain the bilge while the keel is off. They'll lay a new bed of the epoxy/goo on the floor, but the rest could use a refresh.

I checked things out yesterday and it looks to me like they can remove the mast step on it's own, leaving the sole in place, and have access to all 10 keel bolts. I'll make a pitch to the service manager this week. The way I figure, something that integral being removed... no good can come of it.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 May 2009 22:07 
Rail Meat

Mind if I ask what kind of keel damage you encountered? I could see how water/ice could damage the sole but what happened to the keel?

S/V Sundog #207

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 May 2009 01:48 
Skipper

Gee... thought the picture said it. Notice how that bolt on the left is raised up by 4"? That's not good. On the port side of the keel there's a 6" crack and bulge, presumably where the other end of the bolt was being forced up. They say it can't be worked in place so off with the keel. Cause is assumed to be water from the bilge creeping down the bolt and staying there for the winter freeze.

We're standing by to hear if insurance will cover it. Estimate is about one seventh of the boat value so we're kind of hoping they will.

Profile Email