Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Advice on New Traveler

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Apr 2024 09:44

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Advice on New Traveler
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2010 13:06 
Skipper

I just finished installing the old design I bought a year ago. I've used it once and the line can jam if you let the leward side go real slack. That said it works so much better than the old OEM traveler. I opted for the "custom" hinged risers. There was no way to make the custom 4" riser contact the deck because the deck drops away as you go outboard and also has some slope fore and aft. I made plastic spacers to go between the traveler track and the riser. The feet of the riser sit flat on the deck and the track bolts to the spray shield as in the orginal installation. I bought the turning blocks from Garhauer to run the line down to a turning block on the deckfor $75 including shipping. I'm sending them back as the guy making my new dodger suggested just cutting off the stainless shelf that supports the cam cleats and allowing the line to go straight to the line clutch. Much less friction and he'll just make a hole in the window for the line. All of this doesn't apply if you are using the new designed traveller but the plastic spacer setup would be the same. I'll get some pics when I get the boat back from the canvas shop.

-Jim

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2011 18:32 
Rail Meat

I am doint major refit that will include a new traveler system for my hull #28 on Galveston Bay, "Lagniappe."

I few years ago, when I did a little research, I figured my existing model was a "Nico Fico," and that my only real option is a system that will involve a whole new track system. Recommendations, regrets, any experineces welcomed. I rememeber looking at the HArken stuff, and I thought it was pretty high dollar. The Garhaur stuff looks robust. the Garhauer rigid vang was on the boat when I boat when I bought it 13 years ago, and it works great.

A casual view of the posts I see some jamming of line, probably not avoidable with some sort of auto windaward sheeting car?
Any does & dont's/experinece welcome. Know that I am faced with new track, so pulling and installing new on, biggest part of job.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2011 17:39 
Skipper

I think the original traveller car design wasn't "prone" to jamming but does happen on occasion but they changed the design to address this. The only issue I found with installation was that the the point at which I mounted the feet of the track support to the cabin top created an angle between the cabin top and the feet. In other words the feet didn't sit flat on the cabin top. I used a polyethelene strip between the traveler track and the stainless mount and it had enough resiliency to make a good fit possible. If I could have slid the feet farther inboard the fit probably would have been perfect but dodger snaps were in the way.

Removing the old track from the spray hood can present some challenges. I ended up drilling the heads off the flat head screws, soaking the screws in PB Blaster (penetrating oil) for a day then prying the old track off. After that is was a matter of soaking the screws again and removing them with vice grips. I sent my old track to Garhaur and they matched the holes into the new track.

Some advocate extending the track length but it looks like you would only pick up maybe 6" of extra length on either side so I elected to go with the stock length in the interest of simplicity.

Hope this helps.

-Jim

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2011 09:47 
Skipper

I have been trying to think of the best way to do the traveler change, I am trying to make the track wider so that it will have more control on the mainsail (esp going to leeward in gusty conditions). I can't mount too far outboard as the hollow lip (5" wide that extends up about 5" to 6") would not take the strain unless there was some sort of easy way to strengthen it. My only other way is to extend the track out to the top edge of the ports and support it by facing the Garhauer support risers in the opposite direction. The other issue is not to have extra track hanging out that could catch lines or body parts, not sure what to do about that. Thoughts?

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2011 13:15 
Skipper

You could keep the track the original length and use a removable block and tackle with a snap shackle that could attach to the toerail track on one and and the boom end on the other. This acts as a preventer when running and can really cinch down on the boom to control the shape of the sail....and a whole lot less $$$

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2011 12:32 
Midshipman

I like your idea of reversing the Garhuaer support bases - I wish I would have thought of that when I replaced my traveler earlier this year. I looked at mine, and doing so would result in your track extending almost to the portlights as you suggest. I'd be interested to know what you find out from Guido.

Doug Radabaugh
Kinsale T37 #22

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2011 18:35 
Skipper

Tortuga's Lie, I like your thoughts but if I could just stay with the regular traveler arrangement I think it would suit me better. I think I will chat with Garhauer about it.

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2011 08:58 
Skipper

Richard,
Are you able to go to the Annapolis boat show coming up? Garhauer is always there and can offer great advise plus give you a little off, but they usually don't go for deep discounts at the show because there prices are already low. They have given me free shipping on my traveler, but not much more.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2011 18:48 
Skipper

No I can't make it down to the show this year. I think my best bet is to order it long enough to get to the edge of the coach house and there is a good SS welder in the area that can come in measure and make the end pieces to support it as it will be to hard for me to measure accurately. I'll take pics if I ever get it done.

Richard

Profile Email