Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Any SparTight users out there?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 19:53

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any SparTight users out there?
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2009 23:05 
Skipper

I'm tempted. I'd like to ditch the wood wedges that constantly fall in throughout the season.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Any SparTight users out there?
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2009 09:16 
Able Bodied Seaman

I'm going to do it this year! I'm wondering which size to get - I think there is a 50 cubic inch and 100 cubic inch kit.

#167 Tenacious
Port Clinton, OH

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2009 09:27 
Skipper

True. The website has tips on guesstimating your volume.
So far I've only got the opinion of the yard workers who of course don't like it. Spartight means they have to get it in the hole. If the mast isn't hanging straight up and down it won't go in those last inches so I can see where they'd begrudge the option. Plus they have to worry about banging it up, but apparently the stuff is indestructible. (They need to revisit the Samsonite commercial with the suitcase and the gorilla, but with Spartight and a yard worker.)

Let us know how it goes! And take some pics of the install if you can please. You can make a tutorial for the next guy (possibly me)

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2009 19:21 
Midshipman

Yes, I did mine last year and love it, no more wedges, and a much dryer boat. It will make pulling and re-stepping the mast a bit more challenging, but if installed correctly it's no big deal. (My brother has it and has pulled his mast twice with no issues)

There's really not much to doing it, just read the directions.

SOLARE #442

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2009 18:40 
Skipper

I used Spar Tight for more than 10 years while I was in California. As long as you do not want to take the mast up and down it is fine. It did not stop mast leaks (you will find that water coms down through the sheaves from the top of the mast) and the seal is certainly nothing better than you can do with elastic mast tape. Make sure you have your mast nice and straight--the partners position do not necessarily define the center of the hole--You will not be able to reposition things after you pour and you do not want to make the partners a major part of your support structure--so tune the rig under sail before you pour. I used the double Spartite kit, but I think I could have gotten by with the single. Now that I am in Maine and have to take the mast down each year, I am going back to wedges. I put vaseline on the inside of the partners with the Spartite but it was still in incomprehensibly difficult job (had to saw it and hammer it out--it would not release) to get the mast out--maybe you will have better luck--some apparently have (did you guys actually pull the mast yourself? did you watch the deck flex??). For me, Never again.

If any of you want to sell the neoprene wedge stuff from Tartan that you take out, let me know. I could not find it anywhere. It was good stuff and I threw it away.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2009 16:37 
Midshipman

I considered Spartight but decided to stick with the rubber chocks that came on the boat. They never slip, but you have to use a heavy line and block to pull the mast forward (to put the chocks/pads in) and then repeat it pulling the mast aft. As was mentioned, I think you will still have a leaks through the sheaves. I made sure to keep my rubber mast boot in place and put generous silicone in the mast track at the boot... and still get water in the bilge. However, I made a 4x4 artificial mast for use with the winter ridgepoll and cover when I take the mast down. When the 4x4 is in place, I get no water in the bilge at all, so I know the water is coming down inside the mast. I do like the looks of spartight though.

Mark

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2009 17:04 
Able Bodied Seaman

Yes. I installed Spartight several years ago and am completely satisfied. Just follow directions. I have had no leaks.
Byron Higgins
T37 444

Profile Email