Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - OEM Traveler Mod

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 17:03

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OEM Traveler Mod
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2009 21:31 
Able Bodied Seaman

Anybody modify the traveler arrangement? I *think* mine is an original arangement - I know the traveler and car are.
-No money this year like I hoped there woul be to go Garhauer. - sad

So - My traveler just has the car, some stop blocks and no control lines. My neighbor hadthe same problem and modified his T37 to add the control lines. Anybody else do this? Any good source for the hardware?

#167 Tenacious
Port Clinton, OH

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: OEM Traveler Mod
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2009 23:20 
Midshipman

I have a Harken traveler, not sure if it's OEM or if the PO did it. I believe T37Chef ordered a Garhauer this fall at the boat show, hopefully he'll chime in with the progress of his install.

SOLARE #442

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2009 11:19 
Skipper

Yes I will, if I can remember to take photos Wink

I will post a thread and document how I did it, what went well and what I did wrong Chuckle

Garhauer is building it as we speak and I hope to have the new one soon.

One note, the center part of the traveler is not bolt through, just screws? Um, didn?t like that, so I think I will, at least, use nuts with a washer, anyone know why this wouldn?t be a good idea?

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2009 12:45 
Skipper

I replaced mine last year with the Garhauer....great gear at a real nice price. Got it at the '07 Annapolis show, gave them the bolt spacing and length of the track. I kept the teak riser blocks, but since the Garhauer track is taller, I had to use stainless all-thread because I couldn't find bolts long enough. The all thread worked great, I finished the top end of the thread with cap nuts and the underside with lock nuts and heavy backing plates. The new unit is SOOO much smoother and my wife can adjust the traveler under load!!! Very Happy I don't have detail photos of the process, but I do have a shot through the dodger: (click on photo to enlarge)
Attachment:
IMG_0719.JPG

IMG_0719.JPG [ 1.19 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2009 19:17 
Skipper

TL,

I got a new unit from them, could you explain in more detail how you attached the center portion of the traveler to the cabin top? Confused

I got the stainless risers, I am hoping its a easy fit Wink I sent the old traveler with the risers to Garhauer so they can get everything just right...I hope Very Happy

All the best,

Shawn Toast

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2009 19:42 
Rail Meat

Jeff

Try a search under the topic "rigid vang". There are some resposes dealing with the installation of Garhauer travelers.

John Cunningham

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2009 10:56 
Skipper

Shawn,
The traveler is bolted to the spray hood.....and this is where a little patience comes in. The original arrangement is that we have stainless bolts that hold the center portion of the traveler and they are screwed into a threaded hole in an aluminum plate that is fiberglassed underneath the spray hood skin....meaning there are no nuts to worry about, this is a similar arrangement to the hull-deck joint. Over the course of thirty+ years, this stainless-aluminum connection has corroded so removing the bolts takes care not to torque the bolts off. If you have an impact driver, this can help, also use Liquid Wrench well ahead of time. If you had Garhauer match the hole pattern, it is extremely important to be able to remove the existing bolts carefully in order to re-use the threaded holes. The Garhauer track is beautifully made and their anodization needs to remain intack to keep the new track from corroding. When you re-install the bolts, make sure that you use an anti-seize compound to help out on the corrosion in the future.
To access the underside of the spray hood, remove the teak trim along side of the slide hatch, then lift out the hatch, you should be able to shine a light in there and see what's going on and while you're in there, take a peek at the forward-starboard corner and see if that is sealed off.....mine was not and water eventually worked it's way to the through-bolts at the centerboard pad-eye at the coaming. Since you have the ceiling liner down, look at this area and see if there is any water damage. I removed this padeye and filled the holes with epoxy and I also sealed off that far corner under the spray hood.
Hope this helps,
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2009 18:27 
Able Bodied Seaman

Where did you spray the penetrating oil? Underneath? I wasn't sure it would be exposed...

I tried to get mine off with the impact driver alone and determined it wasn't going to happen. Maybe the oil will help.

#167 Tenacious
Port Clinton, OH

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2009 20:33 
Skipper

TL,

Thanks,

Great insight you provided, so taking off all that teak trim I just re-coated last spring had to be done after all Cheers
Hey what are you doing in few weeks? Chuckle

So after reading your post, I realize my approach is a little different, let me know what you think?

I could not get the bolts out so I drilled them out (no patience Embarassed ). I sent the traveler to Garhauer and asked they use the "other" holes to use as a guide for the new holes. With the new holes I will use a bolt & nut under the spray hood? I'll be sure to not compromise the coating, probably make a template first. What did you use to seal the traveler to the deck? 4200?

I still have time to change something if you think this is a completely wrong approach Wink

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2009 07:49 
Skipper

Chef,
If you through-bolt the traveler using new holes instead of the existing ones, you could tap new threads into the aluminum plate and the result will be the same....even better(new threads). If you use nuts and washers underneath the spray hood, be careful to cut the bolts off flush or have the exact length because if they are too long, they'll interfere with the hatch sliding. The Garhauer track is taller than the original and therefore could possibly span the entire 4' width with only being supported by the teak or stainless towers on each end....just make sure your backing plates are beefy. The track may flex a little, but the spray hood really isn't all that structural anyway.
With the sealant, I used a 3M marine silicon due to the flexibility requirements. 4200 should be fine as well.

Profile Email