Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Mast Step

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 11:44

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mast Step
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2009 18:35 
Rail Meat

Just had a rig survey completed to satisfy insurance and get an idea what I am dealing with on my new boat. Unfortunately came back with the news that the mast step is highly coroded. Apparently due to Tartan using a stainless step on aluminum mast and 20 + years of water. Unfortunately I did not spot this before purchase and neither did the surveyor.

Anybody else ran into this?

Haven't gotten a final estimate for the work yet but was roughed around 3k.
Attachment:
Adam Mogal 003.jpg

Adam Mogal 003.jpg [ 84.67 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Attachments:
Adam Mogal 007.jpg
Adam Mogal 007.jpg [ 74.79 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Mast Step
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2009 07:06 
Skipper

Adam,
What is your hull #? I have an early 1977, hull #59 and the mast stops at the floor level (doesn't drop into the bilge) and sits on an aluminum shoe that is adjustable fore and aft. This shoe is then supported by some sort of bridge structure that extends down to the hull/keel area and has heavy fiberglass tabbing to the hull structure.
I suppose that if your mast is corroded enough, you could cut your mast at the floor level and construct something like what is described above, but I don't know what would be involved in this.
Good Luck.
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2009 16:57 
Rail Meat

Tom,
I have a 1982 hull #365. I am just going by what the rigger told me on the phone and the pictures. I bought the boat 4 weeks ago right before I left town unfortunately and haven't been back yet. But it sounds like Tartan either changed their construction methods between our two years or my mast and rigging has been redone at some point in a different manner. I do not know if the rig is original or not, but the rigger said from what he can tell he believes it is. The rigger is also who said that the current shoe is stainless, so I am taking his word there until I get someone else to get their eyes on it. Yes he told me this is a common problem on boats of this age and they have a good fix for it that they use all the time. They will indeed cut the mast above the corrosion, fabricate an aluminum replacement shoe. Then also fabricate or use some kind of spacer underneath it all to return the whole rig to original height. He also said this is good two fold because it takes the metal part of the structure off the fiberglass level so that water intrusion from the mast or wherever it happens to come from will not corode the new step.
That is interesting to hear that yours sounds different in design though. If you could happen to snap some pictures and post them when you get a chance I would appreciate it.

Thanks Tom!

Also if anyone with a hull# near mine could shed further light on their mast step compared to mine it would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2009 21:38 
Midshipman

SOLARE is hull #442 and has a mast step as Tom describes, just below the level of the floor boards and it's made of aluminum. I'd be happy to shoot some photos next week when I get back to the boat.

I've had to do a similar repair when we did the refit of my brothers boat. Basically it's cut the corroded end of the mast off and fabricate a phenolic spacer to compensate for the cut. This also deals with the dissimilar metals issue, if you really have one.

HTH
Glenn

SOLARE #442

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2009 13:32 
Able Bodied Seaman

I took a couple photos yesterday...

Attachments:
DSC00041.jpg
DSC00041.jpg [ 3.41 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
DSC00042.jpg
DSC00042.jpg [ 3.46 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

#167 Tenacious
Port Clinton, OH

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2009 18:58 
Rail Meat

Thanks for the info and pics guys. I'm still doing research on options.

Adam

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2009 16:04 
Rail Meat

Hey thanks for everyones replies to the mast step issue. But after getting someone else on board my boat as I am away. It turns out that I have no step issues and the rigger was on the wrong boat! Unbelievable I know. No issues with my rig other than age and a crack on the backstay swage fitting. So much better news for me.

Thanks again.
Adam

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2009 06:05 
Skipper

No wonder the set up looked totally different than what we have!!! Very Happy

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2009 19:39 
Able Bodied Seaman

Lots of drama for nothing! At least you feel good now!!!!

#167 Tenacious
Port Clinton, OH

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2009 10:35 
Skipper

Wow, lesson learned, get a second opinion! Toast

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email