Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Steering Pedestal

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 04:24

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steering Pedestal
PostPosted: 22 Feb 2009 14:15 
Able Bodied Seaman

Anybody remove the steering pedestal? I want to take it out and have it powder coated - it is starting to look really bad.

Any advice? Troubles? Special Tools?

Thanks

#167 Tenacious
Port Clinton, OH

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Steering Pedestal
PostPosted: 22 Feb 2009 18:20 
Skipper

Jeff-

I took mine off about 5 years ago to strip and paint it. Can't recall if any special tools were needed. I don't think so. I was glad I did it. The paint job turned out very well - much better than if I tried it installed. Also, I got to know how it was assembled, so if a calamity occurs some day while cruising, I'll be able to fix it without any second thoughts.

Jim
Odyssey #191
Osterville, MA

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2009 05:03 
Able Bodied Seaman

I removed mine this year, more for general maintenance than anything else. Turns out it was a good idea; the backing plate was completely rusted through. Good excuse to get a new one cut from stainless.

The engine control cables were a challenge to put back into place; the fitting in the pedestal that the clamp is on is difficult to reach.

I replaced the stock bolts with stainless; also rebedded with lots of 3M 5200.

I probably took apart/put together the system 7 times between various 'new' problems that kept cropping up, but I'm an expert at how it goes together now. Bring a big foam pad so while you lean over the lazarette hatch coaming, you don't break a rib.

Beer: very useful tool; have available in large quantities.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2009 21:24 
Able Bodied Seaman

Well, I got the pedestal off last weekend. Looks like having it sand blasted and powder coated is more economical than painting it myself. While its off I decided to overhaul using the Edson brake rebuild kit and the Edson steering rebuild kit. New bearing seemed in order after 30 years. Everything should be done next week then time to re-install. Smile

The pad was a good idea but my ribs are still sore. Snicker

I found 3 or 4 more jobs to do while poking around this one. Rolling Eyes

I'll send pics of finished project.

Thanks for the advice!!

#167 Tenacious
Port Clinton, OH

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2009 23:25 
Skipper

[quote="Anastasis"]
I replaced the stock bolts with stainless; also rebedded with lots of 3M 5200.
[quote]

Is'nt this a bad idea? From what I know about 5200, you'll never get it off again, or is the hype about 5200 just that?

Just wondering?

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2009 22:32 
Able Bodied Seaman

I suppose this is one of those areas where everyone has an opinion, which is good because it furthers our R&D of new products and makes us try things outside the box.

I have used 5200 darn near religiously for anything on the exterior that required bonding, waterproofing, or both. Stanchions, chainplates, pedestal seal, hatches, handrails, etc. I haven't had any issues will removal when I needed to, including removing the pedestal a week after I bedded it the first time. I did have some issue with a stanchion once, but good ole leverage did the trick. To remove old bedding, I use a stainless wire brush for anything I can't cut off with a razor. Prep with acetone, dry, and put on new.

I do use polyurethane and silicone for some items, but I just don't have a good track record with keeping a hardy seal with anything less. But as I mentioned earlier, often I use 5200 simply because it's available, vice other 3M products.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2009 11:47 
Skipper

Word of caution for using 5200...it breaks down with U.V. light. If you are using it in an application where this could be a problem, you may have an issue. Ask me how I know.....

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2009 19:58 
Skipper

3M makes a similar product to 5200 called 4200. The advantage is 4200 can be removed and we all know everything on an old boat will eventually need removing. Use 4200 as it works and can be removed. If you have doubts contact 3M in Canada their office in London, ON will help you as they have chemists there who will explain what to use and why.

Profile Email