Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - beckson port windows

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 09:59

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: beckson port windows
PostPosted: 03 Nov 2008 20:07 
Navigator

Hello, does anyone know which beckson port window the t-37 uses? i need to buy one, wrote down the dimensions and left the paper somewhere, probably up at the boat-a four hour drive. thanks to all. btw if anyone has replaced theirs with the metal ones (i will do it someday too) do you have a good used one to sell me? i have one that has a cracked exterior frame and should do something about next spring. thanks again , carl, mawky, ser 295

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: beckson port windows
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008 07:25 
Skipper

Carl,
Mine were pretty well shot when I replaced them with stainless, so they would up in the landfill....Sorry.
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2008 20:44 
Skipper

Tom

What stainless ports did you use? I want to replace mine next year. Any hints to help with removal?

Stephen

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2008 18:34 
Skipper

Stephen,
When I replaced my ports, I bought them from Joe Palmer who used to have a business selling parts for "classic" Tartans. Unfortunately, he is no longer in business, but the ports are made by Hood. They're the traditional ports and you can buy them direct from Hood for about $300/port:

http://www.pompanette.com/pompweb.nsf/a ... enDocument

One word of caution when fitting for the new ports: the cabin side wall thickness is only about 3/8" +/- and the new ports require about an inch. What I did was to build out the entire thickness by laminating a plywood srtip along the bottom and top of the cabin sides and fully around the port openings. I filled in the area between ports with 1/2" rigid insulation then ran 3/8" toungue and groove teak vertically and finished it off with a crown moulding. Of course you could easily build some teak trim rings for each port to build up the thickness which is what I did for the v-berth because of the fiberglass headliner. Somewhere, I have a photo documentary of the process, but here's a finished shot. Removing the old ones is a snap, they're just mating tee nuts/srews and slip a putty knife around the flange to cut the caulking. You may need to enlarge the opening just slightly for the new ports.
Good luck, Tom
Attachment:
IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_0706.JPG [ 1.72 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2009 07:27 
Midshipman

Hope this isn't too late to help, but the Beckson number for the PVC portlights is PO414-WC-10. You will also need lots of blind nuts from Beckson, number BB187-31F25. These come 25 to a bag so they will be enough for three portlights.

I had trouble with the original hull openings as they were not cut true. I made a template from the new portlights and trimmed the openings to fit.

I like the new portlights as they use a cam latch instead of the old thumb wheel.

Jerry
JAMMIN #226

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2009 16:23 
Skipper

The Beckson folks in Bridgeport CT know about the special sawing they have to do for the T37 window replacements so talk to them at Beckson when you order them. I really like the plastic windows as they work well (don't leak) have replaceable parts, don't cost a fortune, and don't weigh a ton. Just a vote for the original equipment. By the way, Brasso will remove the scratches and haze from them if you clean them once in a while and make sure the gaskets don't get a lot of salt and dirt on them. I used to deliver boats and and thing that the Atkins and Hoyle hatches and the Beckson ports are first rate compared to all the other ports and hatches I have dealt with. Keep them clean and they work. Did have to rebed the hatches after 20 years and a lot of hard sailing. They are only screwed in with self tapping screws. FWIW.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2010 10:33 
Skipper

Just replaced all the lens, gaskets, screens, and removed the old knobs in favor of the newer latches on our boat last weekend. Since the ports were not leaking (well the gaskets were, not the port itself) and I want to spend boat bucks on other things, replacing the existing lens and such was the answer.

I can honestly say this was one of the best, most rewarding, sensible, thing we have done thus far.

Matt at Beckson in OEM sales was wonderful to work with! Total cost was around $550 I think, well worth it IMO. Basically we have new ports for a very reasonable prince and it took my wife and I working together about 6 hours. I took the old stuff out, the pins for the knobs being the most difficult, then she followed with a good cleaning and install of the screens and gaskets (the first port is a bitch, then you get a system down, pre stretch the gaskets a little, much like you would a balloon before you blow it up), I followed installing the lens & latches.

Have Matt send you two types of 4x14 lenses, one milled, and one regular, to check fit. I went with the milled ones and had to put some nylon spacers in several of the hinges, but the regular seemed a little too tight for most? Had I done it again I probably would have used the regular ones and just filed a little when needed?

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email