Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Centerboard stuck

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Apr 2024 06:24

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Centerboard stuck
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2009 06:12 
Rail Meat

Adam - the bolts may be glassed over if a previous owner was over zealous with fairing the keel. If so, it should be easy enough to locate and tap/scrape it clean. The bolts may or may not be in good shape, as seen in the earlier picture. Mine came out pretty easy. Loosening the hinge is the easy part. If your board is currently stuck, it's worth a little time to try and figure out where it's stuck. It's very possible that I made my situation worse by drawing the thickened part of the board (even worse if atop the board the padeye corroded) toward the back of the trunk while pulling down. There is a space in front of the board (in the up position) such that after removing the hinge and assuming the board moves at all, you can move it a little forward as you let the back end drop down. At a minimum, don't let the hinge plate ride back if you can avoid it.

I thought my board job was going to be a quick sit in the slings too. Ouch. Good luck. I'm hoping my experience has been (and still is) an extreme exception. Send me an email if you'd like another take on my saga. I've been advised to contact the owner of "Nicknack" (sp?) too. He's just down the road from me and has some experience with these stuck boards. You can find his website by searching T37 Nicknack.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2009 13:00 
Rail Meat

Thanks for the responses, I'll keep everyone informed what happens on Monday.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009 14:46 
Rail Meat

As it turns out, the centerboard was simply just stuck due to barnacle growth among other marine wildlife. All it took was simply running a handsaw between the board and trunk and the board dropped just fine. I had been planning on dropping the board out all together to inspect hardware and barrier coat/paint. However the bolts were glassed over from previous owner. Also appears that the padeye had recieved work as evidence of reglassing was evident around the padeye. Feeling rather good about the condition of the board and the lack of time in the slings to grind out the bolts to drop. Cleaned it as good as possible and raised it back up. I will paint in the slings next year right before launch. Here are some pictures. Also can anyone touch on the area just forward of the hinge assembly. It looks like I have had some delamination in this area. Can i just epoxy the area, is there any lead around there to worry about? Thanks for everyones advice and help on the centerboard.

Adam

Attachments:
DSC00403.JPG
DSC00403.JPG [ 3.31 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
DSC00399.JPG
DSC00399.JPG [ 3.24 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
DSC00395.JPG
DSC00395.JPG [ 3.39 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
DSC00389.JPG
DSC00389.JPG [ 3.05 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2011 15:17 
Rail Meat

Here I am again with the centerboard stuck! I have rebuilt the board, added 20# of lead, making it weigh 100#, installed new pendant line, and hose. I think this board has been replaced in the past. After looking at your picture, it looks like there is a radius in the top of the board for the line to rest in? I don't think mine has a radius. It seems that the pendant slips to the side of the centerboard and binds. The last time that it worked, I allowed it to go all the way down. Maybe too far? And it bound up again. I put a 1" hose inside 1 1/2" hose to help keep it from sliding to the side. Maybe a small piece of line to keep it down to the CB will help. Tomorrow, we will try to get it unstuck again without hauling it out. If so, we will secure the hose to the CB, and tie a knot in the line at the clutch to prevent it from going down too far. Any new idear are welcome. Will keep you posted.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2011 15:18 
Rail Meat

Here I am again with the centerboard stuck! I have rebuilt the board, added 20# of lead, making it weigh 100#, installed new pendant line, and hose. I think this board has been replaced in the past. After looking at your picture, it looks like there is a radius in the top of the board for the line to rest in? I don't think mine has a radius. It seems that the pendant slips to the side of the centerboard and binds. The last time that it worked, I allowed it to go all the way down. Maybe too far? And it bound up again. I put a 1" hose inside 1 1/2" hose to help keep it from sliding to the side. Maybe a small piece of line to keep it down to the CB will help. Tomorrow, we will try to get it unstuck again without hauling it out. If so, we will secure the hose to the CB, and tie a knot in the line at the clutch to prevent it from going down too far. Any new idear are welcome. Will keep you posted.

Profile Email