Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Centerboard stuck

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Apr 2024 07:59

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 Posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Centerboard stuck
PostPosted: 24 Apr 2009 06:42 
Skipper

Box of Rain: The area of the keel just forward of the hinge assembly is basically a thin layer of glass to fair out the forward end of the slot. The aft section of yours that is weeping, is a fairing section of the keel that is applied after the hull is removed from the molds, so I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a void or two in that area.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2009 19:32 
Rail Meat

JBarnes - Yes, I did have clearance to try that. The line wouldn't budge. I'll try for better pics of that tomorrow, just for archival reasons since of course, I'm going to succeed in dropping the board tomorrow, right Chuckle ? I have a come-along to attach to webbing that I can slide over the top of the board. The problem is what to connect to on the other end. I haven't solved that yet, but I'm thinking of bracing against the bottom of the keel to establish a point near the ground to anchor the other end.

TL - The hinge plate bolts look good. Hopefully, the rest are too. I think the weeping is forward of the fairing at the back of the keel. I did notice yesterday when thumping the bottom that there seems to be a void. I haven't dug into it yet. The centerboard is my first concern. I've seen your c/b pics from the other thread. Nice work.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2009 19:35 
Rail Meat

I'm home, tired and sore, lost round 2 to the c/b. I was able to get a good straight pull with a 1ton strap winch straining to near breaking. The c/b didn't budge. Tomorrow is the last chance. I'm going back with a hacksaw blade attached to a long thin slat or perhaps a long thin drill. I'm going to try to cut the jammed line out. I can see where it exits from the bilge, so I should have a stub on which I can attach a messenger and replace the line. If it ends up being a swollen board and not just a line jam, I can't imagine how to apply enough force to pull it out.

Attachments:
DSC00014.JPG
DSC00014.JPG [ 390.12 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2009 20:30 
Rail Meat

Very little material remains pinched between the board and the trunk cavity. Hinge plate bolts came out cleanly. That board isn't moving, not one millimeter.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2009 05:51 
Skipper

B.O.R.......Have you tried to push the board up and then down again?
A back and forth action may losen things up, but maybe not??? Shocked Rant Rant

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2009 19:05 
Rail Meat

Somehow my last response in this thread disappeared.

Board is still badly jammed, now in the full up position. The backhoe couldn't even budge it. The hinge plate is unbolted and not aligned in its original position.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2009 06:08 
Skipper

WOW! A backhoe Shocked
How about glassing it over???!!! Seriously, I have heard of T-37's glassing over their boards and have thought about it myself from time to time.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2009 06:25 
Skipper

Just a thought.... To remove the board, you have to pull it down and [url]back[/url] from the bottom (aft) end, because there is a relatively large portion of the top end of the board that fits forward of the hinge pin into a 'pocket.' With the hinge pin not attached, and something stuck up inside, and depending on where/how you're pulling, you may be trying to pull the board out with that upper portion being constrained by the lower portion of its pocket.

Good luck!!

Jim
Odyssey #191

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 May 2009 14:29 
Rail Meat

I am new to this forum and have been trying to learn how to work this web site to give the following information. I had a total failure of the centerboard bracket and lost centerboard. The old brackets were welded to form the L. (Two pieces of s steel). The weld failed rust or fatigue. The only part left was the part with the three bolts. The new brackets are not made like this. Anyone removing their cb and finds the old bracket should replace it. This information should be reposted so more owners will receive info. Do not have time to figure this out now.
Lane Knox
T-37c, Journey 330 (1981)

T-37c, #330 Journey

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 May 2009 08:33 
Skipper

Lane Knox wrote:
This information should be reposted so more owners will receive info. Do not have time to figure this out now.
Lane Knox
T-37c, Journey 330 (1981)

You got it right. But hopefully you'll stick around. If you do, you can go into the Users Control Panel and put name/boat info into the Signature block and it will show up on every post so you don't need to type it. And feel free to "New Topic" to introduce yourself in the Introductions section.

On topic: Sometimes I'm glad to have the fin keel.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 Posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next