Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Dorade leak

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 07:24

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dorade leak
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2008 15:42 
Able Bodied Seaman

My surveyor and I spent about 25 minutes tracking down a leak in my deckhead this weekend. I had ceiling panels removed in the galley, and had a drip over the stove. It never started when it rained, but would begin 20 minutes into a storm, and last for days after. After chiseling the compound & wood striping for the liner, we found a screw hole from the liner trim. Then, we searched the entire starboard deck. Finally traced it to either the turtle back or, more likely, the starboard dorade. A mud wasp nested & plugged the drain. We also found the collected water in the rear of the box.

Has anyone experienced a leak from either of these locations? Both areas are pains to get into, and I'd appreciate creative suggestions for a fix. I can handle the wet coring, but don't know about filling the rear end of the box.

On a great note; the coring sounded out well. I was given great praise for it's structural strength & all-around bullet-proof nature. I'm another happy Tartan owner.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Dorade leak
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2008 17:29 
Grinder

Hi Anastasis,

Look here -> viewtopic.php?f=4&t=149&hilit=

I also found that the both dorade boxes had some voids between the sides and bottom and standing water so I filled them as much as I could to prevent any more potential leaks. Another place to look would be the winch, cleat and eye through bolts to be sure they are properly bedded. The core is balsa and ply in those areas of the deck.

I also found a few areas where screws from underneath penetrated the deck and caused leaks over the stb. quarter bearth.

Best of luck tracking down those leaks. They can be difficult to find and follow.

Mark

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2008 05:11 
Able Bodied Seaman

Thanks! I'm heading down this weekend for some fiberglass fun. We know the leak is coming from the rear end of the dorade box; just need to weasel my hands back there with some filler & glass. I'll post when I finish & if successful

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2008 17:05 
Skipper

I had standing water in these as well. I made the drain holes a little larger and poured some Expoxy with a little filler in there to level and seal the bottom. Fixed the problem.

Profile Email