Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Standing Rigging

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 09:19

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Standing Rigging
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2006 13:27 
Skipper

I am getting ready to tackle the dreaded standing rigging issue. I am most likely to use swaged fittings on the mast end and Sta-Lok or Norsman for the lower end. Has anyone tackled this recently? And if so how much did it cost to replace if you did everything yourself but the swaging?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Standing Rigging
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2006 10:12 
Senior Hull Holder

It's not really too hard a job, unless of course your not comfortable climing the mast. Get a quote from a professional rigger or two, while working out the cost of the parts from, say sailingservices.com or a catalog. And then compare prices. There are some tricks to measuring the old rigging, let me know when you get started and I can help you maybe. You can do the replacement one stay at a time while the rig is still on the boat.

john d

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2007 17:15 
Rail Meat

Planning to replace standing rigging myself but in a quandry. I assume the original was type 302 cable and I wopuld like to change to type 316 cable. An increase in size will cover the strength drop and pin size will match. How about Hayn's Hi-Mod fittings for both ends? You can remove both uppers or all the lowers to make the rig changes with the rig in the boat - mast bends a bit and not reccomended for open water though. Any Experience with the Hayn fittings? Is the increased cost of Type 316 worth it? Anybody tried Dyform?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2007 06:45 
Skipper

Foxyboat... The only DIY fittings I have used is the Stalok, seems decent enough. The people at Rigging Only can advise you, its a mail/internet order company in Massachusetts. I replaced my forestay before adding my roller furler in which I used the Stalok for the lower and swaged the top end. No problems after about ten years of aggressive sailing ..............my wife likes give other boats a run for the money!! Very Happy

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2007 08:11 
Skipper

I just recieved my shipment from Rigging Only: two upper shrouds, four lowers and a backstay all with swaged fittings on top, Stalok fittings for the lower end, new turnbuckles. Total price: $1300. I replaced my forestay several years ago when I put the roller furler on so I didn't have to buy that.
It looks like I'll be busy this weekend!!!, but at least I'll be saving about two thousand dollars on labor!!! Cheers One estimate for a rigging conpany to do the work was heading upwards near 4k!!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2007 13:15 
Able Bodied Seaman

The forks on the lower end of the turn buckles, shrouds upper and lower are wider than the chain plates which of course cocks the pin a little, that goes through the chain plate. Is this normal? In my mind the fork on the turn buckle should be the same width as the chain plate and the pin only long enough to go through the fork and the chain plate with room for the locking pin. I haven't removed any of the stays to see if the hole in the chain plate is elongated or to see if the pin is bent.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2007 06:01 
Skipper

Steves, Good observation! I haven't noticed any elongations of the holes, but there could be. Since the rig is 30 years old this year, it must not be designed too poorly or else we would have had things crashing down by now Snicker

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2009 16:01 
Rail Meat

Anyone who has replaced standing rigging recently happen to have any measurements handy. Particularly for the backstay. I may look at replacing that first as there are cracks in the fittings on both ends. Or if anyone knows somewhere that has the lengths of all standing rigging for our boats.

Thanks.
Adam

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2009 06:13 
Skipper

Adam,
I finished the re-rigging two years ago and have the measurements at home. The set up that I used was a machine swage at the top end and a Sta-Lok at the bottom and just added an extra foot in cable length and cut on site. Keep in mind that no two boats will have the EXACT measurements.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2009 15:22 
Rail Meat

Yes, just wanted to get a rough idea on price from a few places. If you could post the measurements whenever you get them and get a chance, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Profile Email