Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Rudder repairs

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 15:57

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rudder repairs
PostPosted: 29 Jul 2008 20:06 
Grinder

Well Abraxas's (formerly Tarka) rudder is partially off the boat and a surprise was found. The Pintle/Gudgeon was destroyed. (see pictures) From the looks of it I would say it is probably a result of electrolysis for at least the pin (see the pinkish coloration). This part was not bonded to the other external metals, is this common. Even though the pin was adrift and the bolt not tight there was only a slight movement of the rudder side to side. I am glad I found this before going off-shore with it. Shocked
Attachment:
File comment: Pintle/gudgeon

PICT0001.JPG

PICT0001.JPG [ 151.37 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Weld failure of the attachment bolt

PICT0006 (2).JPG

PICT0006 (2).JPG [ 149.6 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Weld failure of the attachment bolt

PICT0006 (2).JPG

PICT0006 (2).JPG [ 149.6 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

I have a new part on order (made to order takes 4-6 weeks)

Neal Musto
T37 #31
Abraxas
Tartan

Attachments:
File comment: weld failure of pin
PICT0005 (3).JPG
PICT0005 (3).JPG [ 142.63 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

T37 #31
Abraxas

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Rudder repairs
PostPosted: 29 Jul 2008 23:02 
Tactictian

I am sure that I have a similar problem. When diving on the boat I can move the rudder at least 1" either side of the lower pintle. I plan on taking the rudder off this fall and fixing this. I will also take the rudder home, split it and check the welds internally before recoring and glassing it up. I may also convert to a tiller when I do this (expecting flames for this comment) as I simply prefer it and in my experience windvanes prefer tillers.

I figure going offshore you really need three things. The water to stay on the outside, the rig to stay up and the rudder to stay on, and linked to the turny bit. Everything else is more manageable if it fails:)

Charlie

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2008 03:16 
Able Bodied Seaman

I don't blame you for wanting to shift to a tiller. On Persephone, after seeing some major repair work needed on the wheel steering, I thought hard about it, then started looking for posts on the subject. Everyone I read said the T37 could NEVER be shifted over. So I spent the $$$ on my repairs. Then looked at it harder myself & said "Yeah, I could have gone tiller just fine." I suppose the 8 times I broke down & rebuilt the steering setup will pay dividends when something breaks later; I'm a champ at getting into the tight spots now!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2008 00:55 
Tactictian

I think that I can do it by adding another bearing in the bottom of the cockpit coaming, then cutting a hole in the front of the coaming for a short fixed steel section. The tiller will then hinge forward of the front of the coaming.

I just need to figure out if it is worth the hassle, and where to put the compass that I have just had so beautifully rebuilt.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2008 15:07 
Grinder

Be careful what you wish for. As a graduate from a Tartan 34 with a tiller, I can tell you that at times my spouse had a hard time steering. With a wheel you get a some mechanical advantage which eases the steering. Further more you can steer from a little outboard easier with an up and down motion (unless of course you have 8 foot arms Very Happy) rather than an athwartship motion. I certainly endorse a tiller for a small boat, but as they get up in size IMHO a wheel is better.

Neal Musto
T37 #31
Abraxas

T37 #31
Abraxas

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2008 10:33 
Tactictian

I think that is good advice. I was very keen when I first bought the boat, but I am actually getting used to the wheel, and since it all works so well I certainly won't change anything for now as I have other priority projects. Certainly the boat seems to balance very easily, even with some weird sail configurations, so I think a tiller would be ok in terms of mechanical advantage.

I went on board a tartan 34 a few weeks ago. What a sweet boat.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2008 09:49 
Skipper

Here's another reason for not going for a tiller conversion: If you ever want to sell the boat (god forbid) you'll have a bastardized T-37 that not many people would want. I think tillers are a great, fool-proof way to steer, but the T-37 wasn't designed for one and you would loose the nice cockpit set up having to worry about a long tiller arm swinging from side to side.....it would probably take need a 6 to 8 foot tiller to handle the large rudder we have. My two cents...Tom Very Happy

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2008 07:03 
Able Bodied Seaman

I need some information on the skeg. I have a print of one but was hopeing that there is some one out there that made the thing as mine is gone. The former owner had takin it off and never replaced it she still sails well but Every time she gets near a crap pot the line gets caught on the rudder. And at low speeds she is slow to respond.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2008 21:18 
Grinder

You can get one from Tartan Yachts for $400. Check out:
https://www.tartanparts.com/product/pro ... 883b2ea66c

Bucks

T37 #31
Abraxas

Profile Email