Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - bilge drain

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 06:17

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: bilge drain
PostPosted: 18 May 2008 15:50 
Navigator

I needed to install a drain for the water that accumulates in the bilge over the winter and freezes. What I did was drill and tap a 3/8in hole in the keel. The keel was thick enough by the bilge cavity and threads tapped just fine. This spring I used a 3/8 x1 1/2 bolt with caulk and fender washer on each side to seal the hole. It worked fine, no water in keel all winter and it doesn't leak. Mawky ser 295

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: bilge drain
PostPosted: 28 May 2008 12:37 
Able Bodied Seaman

Hello !
Could you explain further about it ?
Here in Quebec city, the temp is below 32F between december and march (sometimes well below...)
So for now I just pour a gallon of plumber antifreeze in the cavity and it did the job yet.

I am planning to install a ground shoe (Dynaplate) unter hull and I wonder if it could be attached to the keel somehow and also need at least one hole that will connect inside the bilge.

Thanks !

Jean-Denis,
Hull # 162

Hull #162
YCQ, Qu?bec City, QC, Canada

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 May 2008 13:29 
Skipper

Pictures would be great if you can. We need the same rig. With all the freeze/thaw action this winter we had some issues. The bilge was not overflowing but it was pretty full and every teak surface has a haze of mold. (5 hours of cleaning) It would be nice to minimize the moisture by letting the standing water in the bilge drain.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2008 18:01 
Navigator

Pictures will have to follow. I need to update several areas with pics on my other projects too. The bilge drain was about the easiest project. In the lower aft port corner of the bilge cavity i drilled and tapped a 3/8 hole which was sufficient to drain the small bilge all winter. For the spring launch i just used some caulk on each fender washer, one inside one outside and added a nut to tighten it. Real affective and quick and it looks good too. One caution, be careful when you drill the hole so there is enough room to add the washer on the inside. ie. if the hole is drilled too low to allow every drop of water out then the bottom of the bilge it will be hard to install the washer. so, drill mayber 3/8in up from the bottom of the bilge. ser 295 mawky

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2008 15:11 
Navigator

have picture of my bilge drain plug. has worked flawlessly this summer, will haul mawky in a few weeks and it will be put to use this winter. sorry for the delay. thanks, carl

Attachments:
IMG_0079.jpg
IMG_0079.jpg [ 2.04 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2008 15:12 
Navigator

my bilge drain may be hard to see in the preceeding pic. its the small stainless nut and bolt.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2008 18:12 
Rail Meat

Am I missing something? I cover my boat in the winter and my bilge stays dry all winter.

Paul #19 Port Clinton Oh.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2008 21:20 
Navigator

Paul, I think i get some water coming in via the mast track, not much but enough to have to do something about it. Carl

Profile Email