Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Bilge

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 19:56

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bilge
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2007 22:11 
Able Bodied Seaman

On Windfall I had the same problem with the starboard sink splashing water while sailing on port tack, my solution was to fit a ball valve between the sink bowls so the inboard bowl remains usable and the outer bowl is shut off before sailing. I used schedule 40 plastic pipe fittings and ball valve. In the head to prevent water spilling on starboard tack, I disconnected the sink drain from the through hull and connected it to the shower sump line that runs to the 2 gallon sump under the floor that also collects ice box water. That sump has aa electric diaphram pump that discharges thorugh the port cockpit drain. There is an original airpressure "bell" type of level sensor in the sump and it works fine, I turn on the power at the beginning of a trip and it does its thing. The head intake has been modified so there is a vented loop in that system so no water will slosh out of the head either. As far as a holding tank for the head, I glassed in a bulkhead under the vberth and glassed a top on the compartment that was created. The result is a tank that I estimate holds 35 gallons, and doesn't leak and I used 99% 11/2 Home Depot pvc pipe and 1% head hose (6") for a flex coupling to the through hull fitting. The tank will serve two couples for a week and I do use the holding tank 100% of the time while inside the three mile rule. The most expensive pump out was in Marathon Fl, $18.

Sam

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Bilge
PostPosted: 09 Dec 2007 19:17 
Navigator

I drilled and tapped a 3/8in hole in my bilge. The marina suggested they could add a two piece brass drain plug or I could just drill the hole, tap it and next spring thread in a round head, phillips, ss or brass screw, washer with sealer on both sides followed with a nut. I waslittle hesitant but went through with it and it looks functional, free and seaworthy. So far no ice or water in bilge. So this brings another question to mind. The hull was repainted with vc17 last spring, i dont have barnacles slime or creatures up here in cold lake superior. Question-should i repaint this spring. the old stuff if probably dead but looks good, ie shiny black w no thin spots. One more thing i noticed when the boat was hauled this fall. i drilled two small .25 in or so holes in the bottom of the rudder. water came out, i didnt stay to watch or time it but at least 2-3 cups. i suspect this is normal. should i try to chase down the source? i believe it is coming in the shaft/rudder connect. I hear west now has some flexible expoxy and was thinking a bout cleaning and painting the area with it. carl

Profile Email