Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Interior teak finish

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 18:44

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Interior teak finish
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2008 17:39 
Able Bodied Seaman

Has any one stripped your interior teak and refinished it? What did you use to get the teak back to bare wood?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Interior teak finish
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2008 20:27 
Able Bodied Seaman

For Persephone, we used a lot of elbow grease & foam sanding blocks (conformed to the curves better).

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Interior teak finish
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2008 18:01 
Skipper

Our interior finish was the original oiled finish and after 20 years, she was rather dirty and dark looking. So, one winter when there wasn't anything better to do, my wife and I removed every possible piece of teak (80 some odd pieces) took them home to strip and finish those. Meanwhile down at the boatyard, we used random orbital sanders as well as hand sanding to get the teak down to bare. Then we carefully vacuumed it all up, wipe everything down with mineral spirits then wiped again with a tack cloth. Now we decided that a marine/exterior polyurethane (Minwax Helmsman) would work nicely for the interior, and it has for the last ten years. After each coat of finish, we lightly sanded with 220 grit to keep things smooth. Don't forget to wipe it down again after each sanding. We have three coats total.
Make no mistake about it, this is a big job to do it right, but I can't imagine living with that dark oiled finish. The gloss really brightens things up.
Good luck and remember that she's a classic and deserves the best Very Happy

Profile Email