Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - main sail preventer

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 22:30

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: main sail preventer
PostPosted: 22 Feb 2008 22:10 
Navigator

Does anyone have a good simple mainsail preventer idea they could share. Hate to even say what I used last year. Was thinking of just attaching a line mid boom to a rail snatchblock and running the line back to the cockpit. Thanks Carl

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: main sail preventer
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2008 12:01 
Tactictian

On all my other boats I have always used a four part tackle to one of the stanchion bases from about mid boom. I have only sailed my t37 once o deliver it but I used the preventer all the time. It is a good habit for my weak sailing skills and has saved my bacon countless times.I seem to remember that I attached it to the forward boom hoop of the main sheet.

I can't take a picture at the moment as I am rebuilding the gooseneck fitting.(which fell out of the end of the boom when i took out the single remaining screw!!!)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2008 15:41 
Skipper

Hi have been looking around and I like the look of this unit http://www.boomlock.com/index.htm better than the dutchman boombrake.

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2008 16:36 
Skipper

I use a simple dedicated length of low-stretch line with a heavy duty stainless hook at the end which attaches to a bail on the boom then I run the line either to my mid-ships cleat or to the bow cleat depending on the angle of the boom. Since this is done while on a run the boat is typically calm and going forward is no big deal. If the weather is really nasty, then you might want something that you can control in the cockpit, maybe have a snatch block forward with the control line running aft.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2008 17:41 
Rail Meat

The March/April issue of Good Old Boat magazine has an article on
mid-boom preventers with drawings.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2008 20:40 
Navigator

I used a docking line on each side for a preventer last season. Not real purdy and certainly a little embarrassing if you let anyone see it. I did see the article in good old boat and intend to do a simple version of this next season. I think a midrail sheave with a line lead back on each side will let me ease the boom from one side to the other without leaving the cockpit. Two more lines to keep tidy are not what I want but I dont have to have them out all of the time. Thanks again for the used front hatch. Will be finishing it next week. The deck rails are installed and I plan on going up to duluth tomorrow morning to tighten them up. I removed the deck sheaves and redrilled larger holes, will epoxy these tomorrow. The wood under the rails was nice and dry. The wood behing the mast under a couple of the sheaves was moist. Kind of disappointed with that but expected it too. I will have to check the jib sheet track area moisture too. My survey said it was fine but I will have to see it myself. Thanks everyone. Carl

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2008 02:52 
Skipper

We use a 4:1 block set as a combo preventer/vang. Lower end has a line on it so I can loop it over the midship cleat and out the chalk so we can get that sucker flat on a dead run. The line is long enough that I can trail it back to the cockpit and flip it free if needed.

Similar to these but with snap shackles.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2008 13:24 
Midshipman

Is everyone attaching the preventer to the middle boom bail? I've always been concerned that attaching the preventer to the bail does not sufficiently spread the load along the length of the boom. Jay.

Profile Email