Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Water tank leak.

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 17:31

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Water tank leak.
PostPosted: 15 May 2009 10:29 
Tactictian

I don't have any pictures but it wasn't difficult.

Take the sliding part of the bench off, I think you have to unscrew a batten from the galley end.
Take out the shelf that is behind this, I cut the back out of the hole which allows the chainplate brace to go through it on the forward end ( I simply screwed a plywood brace behind it when I replaced it. I remember some battens running transversely as well.

Remove the front of the bench. The trim needs to come off first. I put a screw into my 14v drill and screw into the plugs. The screw bottoms out on the head of the fastener under the plug and draws the plug out. Two parts , one in front of the pump.

Undo the hoses and lift the tank out.

My tank was just sitting on the foam and not stuck to it. If the tank is glued to the foam this might be harder:)

I found a guy in the yellow pages under plastic welder. He scraped out the crack (around the outboard end of one of the stiffening channels in the top) to the full depth of the laminate and then had an extruding gun with a Leister preheater on the front of it. This melted the surface of the channel he had scraped and filled it with molten filler, smoothing it with a teflon sole. He let it cool for a full 30 minutes and then pressure tested the tank to 3 psi with a spray bottle of soapy water to look for leaks.

Hope this helps, Charlie

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Water tank leak.
PostPosted: 15 May 2009 22:44 
Rail Meat

Thanks Charlie,
This goes on the Fall project list. I assume you have the model with the Starboard pull out berth over the tank.

S/V Sundog #207

Profile Email