Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Water tank leak.

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 22:23

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Water tank leak.
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2008 21:15 
Tactictian

I have just removed the starboard water tank in about an hour. Really not as difficult as I had thought. I was feeling very pleased with myself until....

It looks like it will not come out of the companionway? I was a bit rushed to go and pick up my kids but did try two different approaches and it looks too wide. Has anyone done this?

I am planning to get the crack in it welded, and the guy may just have to come and do it on the boat.

Does anyone have any experience welding these tanks? I assume it is some type of polyethylene?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Water tank leak.
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2008 07:11 
Skipper

I removed my Stbd water tank about 2 years ago. I had no problem passing it through the companion way hatch. Mine has the same dimensions as the replacement water tank that listed by Tartan on their website. I also got the shop drawing from the company that manufactured the tank, and it had the same dimensions as mine.... so if you have the standard tank you shouldn't have a problem.

My tank failed (cracked) at the stiffeners located on the top of the tank, and I had the cracks welded. The tank is plastic (polyethylene I assume), and the welds have held for the last 2-3 years. My failure occurred when I filled the tank from the deck fitting, which I no longer do, so I haven't really challenged the weld strength or the tank itself. But from my experience, the plastic welds have worked fine, and regardless, it is good practice to not overfill the tanks from the deck fills.

Jim
Odyssey #191

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2008 11:49 
Tactictian

Well that is good news, as I said I was in a rush. The crack is at the back edge around one of the stiffening channels. I was told about it by the guy I bought the boat off, and he didn't say how it happened.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2008 11:06 
Tactictian

Update.

Well it does fit ... just, I still had to wiggle.

I got a guy to weld it and pressure test it for $50 so I am delighted.

He said that they are only good for about 5-10 psi and that you could get 100 psi from a hose so that with even a partially blocked vent you would split it. In his opinion overfilling was the commonest way to damage a tank like that.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2008 19:40 
Rail Meat

We have just replaced the leaky starboard side 55 gal water tank with a 25 gal fresh water and a 9 gal treated water for an electric toilet...part of our update...will fill both from topside.

Paradox of Oriental

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2008 05:42 
Skipper

Paradox.....if you're only putting back 34 gallons, did you gain extra space?
The other question would be that with removing the extra tankage, will this increase the T37's natural list to port?? You may have to store your storm anchor and extra chain there Very Happy

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2009 14:13 
Able Bodied Seaman

I had a leak where the drain fitting had split from PO bad winterization I assume. Boat was on the hard for 2 + years before I bought it.

Anyway, I had it plastic welded also - removing it was fun to say the least. Replaced the water pump while I was in there.

I have heard many people say they don't fill from the deck fill - I assume you bring the hose inside and fill from the tank top access hole. Why not just open that and still use the deck fill? - I do that just to watch the level and it prevents any pressure from building.

#167 Tenacious
Port Clinton, OH

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2009 18:43 
Midshipman

The idea of removing the stbd water tank in only an hour moves this project up on my list. Any pointers?

Thanks

Doug
#22 Kinsale

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2009 20:49 
Able Bodied Seaman

I can tell you it took me far more than 1 hour. However - I had no idea how it was going to come out. I should have asked. Frustrating Once I gave up on the idea of getting it out from the top; and I took the front off the seat it - came right out. Had to put screws in from the front with teak plugs to put it all back together. I don't know if this is the best way, but it worked for me. Once I decided to do it that way it was less than 1 hour, but then I had to clean up the other mess I made. Crying or Very sad

I thought at the time they had built the boat around that tank!!

I looked for a picture but I can't find one. If I was unclear let me know, I'll try again.

#167 Tenacious
Port Clinton, OH

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 May 2009 09:47 
Rail Meat

jbarnes11 wrote:
I can tell you it took me far more than 1 hour. However - I had no idea how it was going to come out. I should have asked. Frustrating Once I gave up on the idea of getting it out from the top; and I took the front off the seat it - came right out. Had to put screws in from the front with teak plugs to put it all back together. I don't know if this is the best way, but it worked for me. Once I decided to do it that way it was less than 1 hour, but then I had to clean up the other mess I made. Crying or Very sad

I thought at the time they had built the boat around that tank!!

I looked for a picture but I can't find one. If I was unclear let me know, I'll try again.

Did you ever find any pictures. I just discovered a leak in the starboard tank and it looks like it needs to be removed for repair.

Thanks,
Mike
S/V Sundog #207

Profile Email