Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Pop Out the Engine?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 09:45

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pop Out the Engine?
PostPosted: 08 Oct 2020 11:17 
Skipper

Spoke with diesel guy familiar with the British Leyland block. He says strip it, take off the tranny, take off the manifold & heat exchanger & alternator and they can do it up quickly. I thought I was going to a shade-tree guy, but it turns out they were "absorbed" by Carquest and then Advance Auto. Normally, last place I'd go is Advance Auto for something like this (head job & rear seal) but he came highly recommended. Three of them in there have well over 100 years of experience. He also recommended someone who could review the transmission just for fun, and the diesel fuel systems shop is just down the road. I'm thinking injector tips and go over the Cav pump. Ya think? I got all winter (or they do, I'll be in the Caribbean until May, hopefully).

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Pop Out the Engine?
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2020 18:49 
Skipper

Sounds exactly like what I would do if I had to do it over again. I put a new Yanmar and I think I could have saved the old block with a little work. As I am sure you know, almost all the problems with these "marinized" little diesels is with the marinization parts, not the blocks. It would be good if you got the heat exchanger that does not have the rubber cap that must be fitted perfectly to function. I understand later models were better. Also, you could either eliminate the oil cooler or just put a bigger one (there are lots of lobster boat parts around here and larger oil coolers can be had much cheaper than the Westerbeke part). I would put a bigger one on as there is not adequate air flow in that engine area no matter what you do.
Just my 2 cents.
Ray Durkee
Castine. I am here. And happy.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2020 07:39 
Skipper

. . . and the oil pan gasket. I could do the engine myself, probably, but I don't look at them enough to recognize possible ills.

What about a new engine panel? When I installed my Yanmars the whole "plug and play" thing was really nice. I wonder if I can find a reasonably priced Westerbeke replacement panel that would work, maybe add fuel gauge etc.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2020 22:11 
Skipper

I put all new gages in when I rebuilt, looked good. The control panel from Westerbeke would be crazy money. The best thing I did was replace the heat exchanger with the one from Mr Cool. Never ran hot even in Va with an overpitched prop. Verify size they have three types for W50. Think this is one I got. https://www.mrcool.us/15799cn-westerbek ... anger.html

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2020 07:09 
Skipper

Thank you! Antiques Roadshow would be proud of my what-started-out-as-a-refit-now-restoration (maintaining original "patinas").

Profile Email