Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Spinnaker pole

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 17:51

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spinnaker pole
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2008 14:02 
Rail Meat

Our new to us Tartan 37 comes with a symetric spinnaker with spinnaker pole. I've spoken with the prior owner who used the spinnaker a few times, gradually figuring out how to rig it as he went. The references I've seen all mention using a pole topping lift in addition to the foreguy, afterguy, sheets, etc. He didn't have a topping lift for the pole. Do those of you who use spinnaker poles use a topping lift? At this time, an asymetric spinnaker is not on the budget plan so will need to use what I've got. Also, the mast is currently down so if I need to add a block for a topping lift, I can easily do it before the mast is stepped. Any thoughts?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Spinnaker pole
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2008 21:21 
Midshipman

I have a symmetrical spinnaker but no pole. The boat had chalks for it but no pole. So, the spinnaker was in a sock and the previous owner sailed it like an asym. So, I did too. It works ok and we really fly. I love it and have a carbon pole on the upgrade list. Hmmm...I wonder if I can make one...

I did set up my Tartan 27 with a lift for the pole and guys and so on...only I bought the 37 before I got a chance to sail her with it. I will before I donate her to a worthy charity though!

With the mast down, I would rig everything I could. The pole topping lift gear shouldn't take too big a bite from the budget.

Good luck!

T37 #231

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2008 06:04 
Skipper

We also have a symmetrical spinnaker and there is a block mounted just below the foredeck light that lifts the pole. I wouldn't try to fly the spinnaker/pole without this lift for any luffing of the sail will cause this very large mass of aluminum to come crashing down on the deck and lifelines....bummer.
We have flown the chute a handful of times in a dozen years, with just the two of us so it doesn't get used often. I would love a cruising asymmetric, but I'm buying a new mainsail .......in the meantime, this is what we use our spinnaker pole for.....
Attachment:
P1030233.JPG

P1030233.JPG [ 1.51 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2008 00:28 
Skipper

^^^ That's great. How on earth do you get out? (while staying dry that is.)

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2008 05:45 
Skipper

Down2TheC wrote:
^^^ That's great. How on earth do you get out? (while staying dry that is.)

The spinnaker pole is attached to its normal attachment point on the mast and the other end is hung from the spare halyard. I attach a line, in reach when in the hammock, to the pole and to the foredeck. Just pull on the line and you swing inboard until the spinnaker pole contacts the forestay Cheers

Profile Email