Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Windlasse options ?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 15 Jun 2024 16:40

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Windlasse options ?
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2008 07:20 
Rail Meat

I believe it's time to replace the old Sea Wolf that is most likely the original. There are a huge number of choices for windlasse out there so I thought I'd see what the forum thought:manufacturers, models, etc. I'm also planning on getting 90' of 5/16 HT before splicing back to line. Does anyone have a vertical design unit? I'm concerned about locker space with that much chain.
Thanks......

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Windlasse options ?
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2008 18:59 
Skipper

Last year, I installed a Quick verticle windlass which so far has performed great. I bought it online for much less than anywhere else I could find. The Quick's motor is mounted horizontally below the deck, which enables you to position it in a variety of angles. I have 150' of 5/16 chain and another 100' of 5/8" line and still have at least 16" below the windlass. I also divided the locker in half to be able to carry two anchors/rodes ready to deploy.
On a note of caution, if you are upgrading your windlass, make absolutely certain that the new windlass does not draw more current than the old cable can handle or else you will need to replace the cable with a heavier guage wire. Don't forget when you're measuring for the capacity of the cable, you need to count the round-trip of the wire for the total length. For example: I have 30 feet from the battery to the windlass so I use 60 feet as my total wire length and my windlass draws 120 amps. Using the tables found online or in the electrical books, you can find the correct wire guage.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2008 18:19 
Midshipman

SOLARE came with a Lofrans Progress One recently installed by the previous owner. Looking at the Imtra website, it looks to have been replaced by the Project 1000. As you can see by the photo, the under deck design is very compact and efficient.

Glenn Splice

SOLARE #442

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2008 21:40 
Rail Meat

Thanks for the responses & ideas. I like the flexibility of the horizontal motor below the deck. Before I spring for the replacement, I'm going to double check the solenoid; if I can get another season out of the old windlasse, we can put the funds toward the Garmin radar we've got our eyes on.

Thanks again

Steve

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2008 12:30 
Skipper

I installed the Lofrans in the picture above a couple years ago. It works fine. The price of the wiring was a shocker though. Shocked

Jim

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2008 20:43 
Skipper

If you need to buy wiring, I found this website that sells pre-tinned cable at much lower costs than anywhere else......
http://genuinedealz.com/
Good stuff.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2008 10:41 
Skipper

Now you tell me. Very Happy I'll bookmark that site for future reference.

Jim

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2008 20:28 
Skipper

I bought all the cable and fittings for a recent rewiring of my house bank from genuinedealz.com and was very happy with the service and pricing, which can't be beat.

Jay

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email