Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - deck hand rails

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 18:23

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: deck hand rails
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2007 20:02 
Navigator

Hello, I want to remove refinish and rebed the deck hand rails. To get the nuts removed the ceiling panels have to be removed. I have dropped all the ceiling panels except the final one over the head. Has anyone done this project before? Any helpful hints would be appreciated, kind of looks like I have to dismantle a lot of the head upper wood. Gota go the pats are on now. thanks carl

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: deck hand rails
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2007 09:50 
Grinder

Hi Carl,

I think you will find that the forward ceiling panel was installed before the head door frame and cabinetry so it can not be removed like the others. You will probably either have to drill access holes to get at each of the machine screws holding the hand rails in this area or cut the panels out and reinstall new ones after your project. If you drill holes, you could cover them after with strips of teak like the one that covers the access holes for the port genoa track.

Mark

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2007 10:56 
Navigator

Mark, thats just what I thought. I can make a decent looking inspection plate or teak strip to cover the through bolt access. Did you replace your hand rails? Mine are too thin and grainey to do much sanding and I think it may be best to replace. I was just up at my boat yesterday under the heavy snow covered top. I didnt think to look but driving back home I recalled the front hand rails have a bend dont they? That may be difficult to put into new rails. Thanks, Carl

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2007 12:13 
Grinder

Hi Carl,

You can make or buy replacement teak hand rails. I don?t know if you like the look, but another thought is to replace them with stainless hand rails available from a number of metal fabricators. Some will even preinstall machine screws or nuts to make reinstallation easier for one person. You occasionally see them on some of the older tartans. Once you remove your existing hand rails they can be used as a template for SS or teak replacements.

Mark

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2008 04:05 
Able Bodied Seaman

I just completed replacing my handrails, so I can probably give you good gouge. I removed all the ceiling panels (replaced them too) to get at all the thru-bolts. The only two areas I ran into trouble were 1) stbd forward railing have a bolt that goes through the ceiling panel backing block under the doorway between cabins. I had to modify the block to accept my new bolts, and 2) the head ceiling panel. If you remove all the trim wood, and the trim by the mast, it will come out. I have to wiggle mine a ton, but it was removed without breaking. There were 4 bolts underneath, and it was nicer in the end to have a clean panel. I re-did all of my handrail in stainless. The after section is three sections of grabrail, the forward is one low-profile 7/8" rail. Looks really good, especially after the crappy wood was gone. I only had to fill 4 old holes, not a big deal. I didn't take pictures of the inside, but I'll try to post some of the topsides when I can. Good luck!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2008 11:47 
Skipper

I am readying up to start the handrails as well. Tortuga has the older one-piece handrail, at 109 inches long so finding one will be impossible. I bought some 8/4 by 6" teak long enough to manufacture two rails. I figure that I'll make it a bit thicker than what was original. I will chronical the project and post the pictures in the spring. I thought about the joy of using stainless, but my wife and I really like the traditional look of the teak.
I have had the head ceiling liner down several times and it is a tight fit and you do need to remove all of the trim and doors. Before re-installing the panel, I installed 1/2" foil-faced rigid insulation in the space between the furring strips. I've done this over the entire boat when I've exposed either the ceiling or hull. It's made a big difference in the winter......plus I figure that the foil facing will act as a radar reflector of sorts Very Happy

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2008 04:13 
Skipper

Anastasis wrote:
so I can probably give you good gouge

Hate to veer off topic but either you went to the "Severn River home for wayward Boys" or that's the first time I've heard that word from a non-mid.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2008 03:51 
Able Bodied Seaman

What better place to pick up good diction... Cool

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2008 06:48 
Rail Meat

Down2TheC wrote:
Anastasis wrote:
so I can probably give you good gouge

Hate to veer off topic but either you went to the "Severn River home for wayward Boys" or that's the first time I've heard that word from a non-mid.

You mean "Camp-No-Fun!"

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2008 12:05 
Skipper

Yup... the "Un-College". But show me another school that gets you on a 44ft yawl for six weeks while you're being paid.
Anyone spend time on these bricks? http://www.navypaxsail.com/Yawls

Sorry... back to scheduled programming... Handrails was it?

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email