Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Mooring Buoys

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 20:19

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mooring Buoys
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2007 10:27 
Rail Meat

Does anyone keep their Tartan on a mooring rather than in a slip? The marina where we keep our boat during the summer is being sold and probably turned into condo's. As we already have a nice cabin, we're going to need to either add a very substantial dock to our cabin or go with a mooring buoy. We are located on a fairly large inland lake, about 140,000 acres. We are on the south shore which protects us from the prevailing summer winds from the south, somewhat protected from northwest winds, which is direction most storms come from, but wide open to any north or north east winds. The dock dealers I've spoken to so far have been hesitant about the strength of their docks. So that makes me think a mooring might be the way to go. The other marina's on the lake are full unless I want to buy someone's boat and take over their slip which may not be large enough for our Tartan. Any advice would be welcome.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Mooring Buoys
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2007 22:33 
Able Bodied Seaman

I have always used a mooring as my HOME Port in Salem Ma. The other side of the land is Marblehead, in that part of New England many if not most boats are on moorings. In my area the town or harbormaster makes the rules for what a mooring is made up from and regulates the placement. The boat just sits like a duck most of the time, there is about 8-10 feet of tidal range twice a day but the mooring is designed to cope with that as well as a storm surge. My mooring is a concrete block about 4' square and maybee 2' thick with a drey weight of 4600# the is a large steel loop cast in the block with 20-30 feet of 3/4" chain that is intende not to ever get lifted off the mud attached to that is about the same length of 1/2" chain that rises up to a 30" ball float attached to that are 2 1" pennants 15' long that attach to the boat. The water depth is a low as 7' on a low low tide. If you are in deeper water the chain will be longer. It is usually easy to sail off and return without ever using the engine but some times the moorings with out boats attached swing with the current or wind and get close to another boat, when that happens, I will motor up slowly from down wind and a crew can pick up the pennent with a boat hook.

Sam

Profile Email