Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Question on spacers on centerboard

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 25 Apr 2024 17:29

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question on spacers on centerboard
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2007 13:55 
Rail Meat

We have a 1981 Tartan 37 with centerboard. I would like to drop the centerboard at anchor for a better lie in swells. Our centerboard tends to make a "clunk" noise when it is down moving back and forth in its housing. I have been told that there are supposed to be spacers on each side of the centerboard to keep it from doing this. If this is true, can someone tell me about them. Thank you.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Question on spacers on centerboard
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2007 16:26 
Skipper

I don't know about spacers, but I do know that Tartan made the 37's C/B hinge pin assembly with at least two different widths (flange to flange dimesion corresponding to C/B width). I replaced mine last year and the first hinge pin assembly sent was too narrow for my centerboard. After talking to Art at Tartan he speculated that 2 different board widths were made. I was luckiy in that the original sent was too narrow and I couldn't use it, since it wouldn't fit. If the reverse were true (i.e., I had the narrow board, and they sent me the hinge pin assembly for the wider board), and I installed it, I would have had about 1/4" of slop between the flanges, which probably would react like your C/B. If your hinge pin has been replaced, this might have happened. With the proper assembly, there is very little slop.

Jim
Odyssey #191

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email