Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Things to look for on purchasing at T37

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 12:27

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Things to look for on purchasing at T37
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2007 09:21 
Rail Meat

As my wife and I look for a T37 to replace our T33, I'd like to get suggestions on specific items to look for or be concerned about on the T37. I've seen some discussion of deck issues (water absorption) and have heard of issues with the filler in the aft portion of the keel trapping water and freezing up in our area (Lake Champlain). Other areas to check carefully - centerboard, rudder, etc???

Stu

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Things to look for on purchasing at T37
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2007 18:21 
Skipper

Second Chance,
There should be several T-37's out there that you could compare and contrast with, I know of one in Deltaville Virginia that looks like a good deal at 45k, it's in pretty fair shape but does not have a lot of extra goodies.
Things to look for: the rudder will probably have water issues, but it may not be a problem, mine has had water in its core for a decade or more but I keep her in the water in the winter here on the Bay so it doesn't freeze plus I drilled a hole so the water drains out when the boat is on the hard. I will most likely need a new rudder one day, but they're pricey. Older fresh water tanks may not so fresh; older standing rigging will need replacement; there may be a few hard spots on the topside, I don't have any but I've heard that if you over-tension the port shrouds, it will deflect the hull a little at the head area.
There are some modifications that you'll need to do to make her ready for heavy weather, but she's well designed and well behaved and will take you home safely.
Have fun!!! Very Happy
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2007 16:44 
Rail Meat

Thanks for the input. I'm looking forward to the move up.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2007 08:25 
Skipper

Second Chance,

You will love these boats, overall quality is excellent! Cheers

A few other pointers I may suggest:

-Inspect the hull to deck joint for separation. Tartan used aluminum flange and stainless screws for this, arguably not the best method due to seizing, although there are NO known reports of any separation.

-Boats built before 1982 (?), the deck fittings were attached directly through the cored deck, after 1982 (I am not positive I have the right year) Tartan used solid glass for factory fittings, of course a PO could have attached fitting after where there is coring.

-Look closely for hull blisters, likely not to be anything serious, just cosmetic. We found hundreds of pea sized cosmetic blisters after the first spring we purchased the boat. A soda blasting exposed them all and were not picked up by the survey. This information would have made for a nice bargaining chip for us. In addition, the hulls were cored with end grain balsa...so you'll want to check for water intrusion. Again there are no known reports of structural issues related to the hull of the T37C...now the 3700, that?s another story sad

We have owned our T37 (#358) for 3 seasons now. No complaints, some usual maintenance issues (the W50 has a fuel leak) & upgrades, and other than the blister repair I did two years ago we have had nothing but great sailing days.

Congrats on considering a wonderful classic sailing yacht. Toast

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email