Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Replacing Cutlass Bearing

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 04:26

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Replacing Cutlass Bearing
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2024 18:15 
Rail Meat

Among other Spring projects for Miranda while she is on the hard, I am considering replacing the cutlass bearing. Do any of you have any experience or information about how to replace the cutlass bearing on a 1982 T37? As always, thank you for your help.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Replacing Cutlass Bearing
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2024 08:28 
Skipper

Hi and welcome. I replaced mine a year ago.First I removed the prop,not easy ,heat required. Then I removed the drive flange from the transmission in the vain hope that I could slide the shaft out (boat yoga project) The shaft won’t quite clear the skeg enough to remove it ! Plan B. I borrowed two split bearing pullers, one on the inner side of the strut set to locate on the strut and allow the cutless through, I put the new cutless on the shaft with the split bearing puller behind it,two threaded rods linked the bearing pullers and by tightening them I pushed in the new cutless which pushed out the old one. The old one I then cut off the shaft with a grinder. Make sure any locating grub screws are removed first. I have tried to attach a good photo but the site seems to not accept it .
On your batteries ,Duracell are made by Deka Penn(sp) a good make, I used their Lead Acid golf cart batteries which I replaced after 7 years as I was headed to the Bahamas.They survived fine through 6 winters to -20°F

Hull #6

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2024 17:40 
Rail Meat

Hello and thank you again. Sounds like you found a good way to replace the cutlass bearing. It would be helpful to see your pictures, but your instructions are very helpful. Where did you get the replacement bearing?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2024 13:56 
Skipper

E mailed you.

Hull #6

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2024 17:45 
Rail Meat

Thanks, but for some reason I did not get your email.

Profile Email